7/30/22

Tom Brennan - My, My, My, Francisco


                                                                    (PC - Ed Delany)

I could just hear Tom Jones singing that, can’t you?

Quiz question: 

Which Mets prospect in 781 career ABs, has 51 HRs and 154 RBIs?

Alvarez.

But I digress.

Many say Alvarez is struggling in AAA.

I say, “Not so fast!”

.382 on base % in AAA. That is the 6th highest OBP in the International League.

Almost an RBI per game, too.

He was also critiqued for allowing 7 steals the other night. All were in the 5 innings pitched by deGrom and May, who may have been more focused on pitching mechanics than in holding runners on. 

When Cobb pitched, he nailed a runner.

Take out the 7 steals while May/ Jake were pitching and Alvarez is 21 for 80 this year in steals. Not great, but better, I believe, than all MLB and minors catchers this year.

My, My, My, Francisco….Why Oh Why, Do They Dis Ya?


BRETT BATY BLASTING AWAY…

Last 2 months, .350/.435/.615. 13 HRs, 39 RBIs.

Assuming he is not traded, get him to AAA ASAP. 


RONNY MAURICIO BY THE NUMBERS…

Half of a 162 game season is 81 games.

In 81 games in 2022, R-Mo has 20 doubles, 18 HRs and 58 RBIs. 

Impressive. Still just 21.



5 comments:

Paul Articulates said...

Alvarez, Baty, and Mauricio are three talented players that are very young. I agreed with the decision to move Alvarez to AAA and Tom's suggestion to move Baty up also has merit. When folks (including me) say that Alvarez is not yet ready for MLB, it is not intended to be a "dis", but rather to say it is better for his long term career to learn more about the game in an environment where the criticism is much less harsh when mistakes are made. Confidence is essential to starring in MLB baseball, and at 20 years old, confidence is heard to maintain. He'll be a great one if the Mets don't overburden him with too much, too fast. They seem to understand that.

Tom Brennan said...

Paul, I hear ya. This article was in response to those who see his low average on a small at bat sample as signs of non-readiness, but don’t realize he has a .382 AAA OBP. Compare, for instance, to beloved Starling Marty’s .353 OBP.

I also think he is not ready…but closer than most think he is.

I think he will have a torrid August and be ready a month from now. Sept 1. I’m sticking to it if he is not traded.

Tom Brennan said...

Marte, not Marty.

Woodrow said...

Soto…. Alvarez,Baty,Mauricio…would the Nats do that?

Tom Brennan said...

Woodrow, if I was the Nats management, I would, but the price for the Mariners to acquire Castillo was HIGH. Maybe for Soto, they’d think that wasn’t enough.