2. Shut down David Wright, Gary Sheffield and Frankie Rodriquez. I have plans for all three of these guys in 2010 and I don’t need any more beanings or injuries. Moreover, F-Rod just reaks in August, but he’s the future closer so shut him down and rest the arm.
3. My goals are to build from within with OF Fernando Martinez, C Josh Thole, SS Ruben Tejada, and 1B Ike Davis. That being said, I don’t think any of them are truly ready for the leap to Queens. Therefore, the most important thing I can do is do everything I can to get the core of this team healthy in the off-season.
4. 1B wise, Ike Davis will be the starter in 2011, but why rush him? Sign a healthy… and this only works if he’s healthy… Delgado to a one year deal. There’s nobody in the FA market as good as him and it will give Davis another year to mature.
5. 2B wise, I’ll stick with Luis Castillo, with Anderson Hernandez as his backup. Hernandez was a great trade and one of the utility infield positions is now covered for 3+ years.
6. SS wise, I’m sticking with Jose Reyes for one more year, but don’t be surprised if he’s not traded before his option comes up, especially if Tejada continues to mature. Tejada’s minor league career mirrors Reyes’, both in age and production. A trade can instantly get you two top pplayers, one of which would be your SP2.
7. 3B wise, David Wright will play here until he dies.
8. Outfield wise, I would sign Sheffield to a one-year deal and play him with Beltran and Francour, with Angel Pagan and Nick Evans by backups. Evans would also be the backup first baseman. And, I would make Martinez play another year at AAA (he’s only 20), in hopes of proving he can get through a season without an injury. You can’t do better that Sheffield in the FA market.
9. Pitching wise, the 2010 rotation should be Johan Santana, Mike Pelfrey, John Maine, Jon Niese, and Bobby Parnell. That being said, do what it takes to get a quality starter from the free agent market. The Mets look at least two years away from developing another starter from the system, so some help will be needed through free agency.
10. Your lineup:
Jose Reyes SS
Carlos Beltran CF
David Wright 3B
Carlos Delgado 1B
Gary Sheffield LF
Jeff Francoeur RF
Luis Castillo 2B