8/19/09

Minors Stuff




Extended Camp:.



New York Mets
Signed: LHP Derrick Ellison (Southern Maryland (Atlantic))
Acquired: OF Jason Dubois from Cubs for future considerations
Placed on restricted list: 2B Kyle Suire
Placed on 7-day DL: RHP Jeff Kaplan, LHP Jimmy Johnson, C Jordan Abruzzo, C Rafael Arroyo
Reinstated from DL: RHP Salvador Aguilar, RHP Jenrry Mejia, LHP Jimmy Johnson, C Tony Maccani, 2B Jordany Valdespin, 3B Shawn Bowman, 3B James Schroeder
Reinstated from inactive list: 2B Kyle Suire

Still, asked how the organization planned to produce its next wave of Big Apple-bound prospects, Wilpon didn't look far.
"I think you see it here," he said. "I mean, we've got a shortstop here, (Ruben) Tejada, that's certainly hitting .300 and one of the youngest kids in the league. You got (Josh) Thole behind the plate. You've got Ike Davis at first. (Lucas) Duda was playing very well, from what I understand, before he got hurt. We've got some pitchers here that have done very well, and it's something that's a work in progress. And who rises? I mean, I think we're seeing some of these kids rise up this year to the challenge of being at this level."
Thole ranks third in the Eastern League with a .332 batting average, and Tejada, who will turn 20 on Sept. 1, is hitting .290 with 16 steals. Davis, the team's first-round pick in 2008, is hitting .306 with a team-high 10 homers, and Duda, a left fielder who is on the disabled list with a knee injury, has nine homers and a team-best 53 RBIs.
SP Steve Matz, the Mets #2 pick in the last draft, was assigned last night to the GCL mets.



Queens:

David Wright (9/1)"Embarrassed?" Are you kidding me? I had to call and make sure that Wright actually said that he was "embarrassed" that he went on the DL. As if there's something wrong with it, after he was inches from being killed, after his brain was sloshed around inside his skull. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard an athlete say. I can only hope that the statement is in fact a symptom of the concussion itself. Wright is one of those players that kids actually look up to and the idea that he's going to the "rub some dirt on it" card for something so serious could have deadly consequences down the line. Be embarrassed if you show up drunk on Deadspin or if your paycheck exceeds your performance, but an injury? That's something you deal with as it comes. There's no shame in not ducking fast enough, David. This episode makes me wonder if he'll push himself back; at least he'll have a couple weeks off and that 'embarrassing' concussion can fade some.

Carlos Beltran (9/1)Yes, there are other possibilities for Beltran, aside from microfracture surgery. In fact, there's no certainty that he'll have that procedure, just a probability given the known evidence and the thinking of both Beltran and the Mets. Implants, transplants, and matrix/scaffolds are all part of the medical technologies coming in a different path than we've seen before. It used to be that technologies like the arthroscope were used in athletes first; they got the best care, which was often the most expensive and experimental. Now, we're seeing the profitable seniors market drive advances in orthopedics that are coming back down to athletes. Think we won't see this kind of tech in athletes soon? The developer, Smith & Nephew, sponsors a chair at ASMI, the one held by Dr. Glenn Fleisig. Beltran, for his part, is progressing well, going from shagging flies to running in straight lines. He'll probably try running the bases by the end of the week and appears on track to get in games before the minor league season wraps.

Alex Cora (10/4)Let's finish up the Mets section of UTK with Cora. He's headed for surgery on both thumbs, which will end his season because of the timing. In order to not be completely helpless, surgeons will work on one thumb this week, and then the other in about a month. He's been playing with pain for a while, but simply couldn't go on anymore. I hope he's not embarrassed. He should be back next year, though he will be a free agent. He makes for a productive backup, something the Mets will need.

http://baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=9406


Still, even given that set of circumstances, Sheffield told The Post last night that he does not expect to finish the year in a Mets uniform and he might not even finish the year in major league uniform, period.
“Based on what I know now, no, I do not think I will be here,” Sheffield said before the Mets’ 9-4 victory over the Braves at Citi Field. “But if I am sent to a team that I don’t want to play for, I would go home.
“I have to look at everything. People always say they are going to do the right thing for you, but sometimes it doesn’t work out that way. If I don’t take care of myself, who will? That’s what I focus on.”
... “I’d go to a team where they already have [a strong lineup],” said Sheffield, who will turn 41 in November. “I don’t want to go someplace where I would be seen as the guy who would make the difference, because if that didn’t happen, then it would be [blamed] on me.
“The light always seems to be on me. I’ve had that light on me for [my whole career]. I don’t need that now.”
... “I’ve built confidence this year that I can still hit for power,” said Sheffield, who has 509 career homeruns and is 314 hits shy of 3,000. I’ve never played in a hitters’ ballpark. Put me in Yankee Stadium right now and you’re talking about 50 home runs.
After two months of waiting, the New York Mets and Zachary Dotson have finally reached an agreement for the former Effingham County High School standout to forego college and start his professional career immediately.

"I think the recruits and staff there had it in the back of their minds I was going to sign with the Mets," Dotson said.

Dotson, a star pitcher for the Rebels last spring, was drafted by New York in the 13th round of this year's Major League Baseball First Year Players draft, but originally made plans to hold off on his professional career and attend the University of Georgia on a full athletic scholarship.

"I had a good relationship with Jason Eller, one of (UGA's) main recruiters, and I kept in contact with him all summer," Dotson said.

Dotson signed with the Mets on Friday and informed UGA baseball of his decision Tuesday.


Mets Alumni:
Game 1 of the 1969 World Series was winding down and a disappointed Tom Seaver stood in the dugout runway at Baltimore's Memorial Stadium next to Donn Clendenon. The two were alone, Seaver lost in his thoughts. But Clendenon washed away the pitcher's disappointment with a few words.
"We're going to beat these guys," Seaver says Clendenon told him. "We got our feet wet and we played poorly and we lost. But they didn't run us off the field. And Koosman's out there tomorrow.
"He wasn't just yakking. He really believed it. And we had had every right to say that they were the big, bad Orioles."
Seaver cherishes those quiet moments, when he and his teammates on the 1969 Mets felt that they could win, a sense mostly absent from the expansion team's inept-yet-cuddly history before that "Miracle" World Series title. This weekend, Seaver and many of his Amazin' teammates will relive moments such as that one in a 40th anniversary celebration that includes a reunion at Citi Field on Saturday.

No comments: