2/10/10

Q&A: - Mack with OF Carlos Guzman

Our Next Q&A is with Mets OF prospect Carlos Guzman:

Mack: Next up is Mets outfield prospect Carlos Guzman. Morning Carlos and thanks for joining us here at Mack's Mets. First question is simple... you came out of John Adams High School, in John Gotti-land, Queens, as an undrafted player. Tell us about how you hooked up with the Mets?


Carlos: Wel, I was invited to a little private workout out in the Bronx, Crotona Park to be exact. Mr Ramon Pena was there, I did what I could, and he offered me a contract to play professional ball for the NY Mets.

Mack: Carlos, you started out with the GCL Mets in 2007 and, frankly, had a pretty slow start (.215 in 130 at bats). Was there an injury?

Carlos: I needed Tommy John surgery on my throwing elbow, but that’s still no excuse. I guess it was a learning process; slowly but surely. I DH'd most of the season, then played the last five games on the field.

Mack: Hey, TJS is a pretty damn good excuse. So 2008 comes and off you go to Savannah, where you started to make Ramon Pena look pretty damn good (.800 OPS in 472 at bats). Tell us about your days in the Coastal Empire and what went well for you?

Carlos: I was just doing what i could. a little bit of talent , hard work, dedication, and being persistant could go a long way I guess. And, with a great coaching staff at that, can be a plus. As I had. Or, shall i say as “we” had (Mack and Carlos).

Mack: It sure felt like "we"... you did have good coaching and a great manager (Tim Teufel) who you will hook up with again this year with the B-Mets. I'm giving 3-1 that Tim is the Mets skipper in 2013. Whattayathin?

Carlos: “Tuff” is an amazing individual. He’s a great person and a baseball brain, and to top it off, a great manager. I am sure he would do a great job anywhere he goes, but that’s definitely not my place, nor call.

Mack: Carlos, you had a great year in 2009, in a great outfield. It looks like the three of you (Kirk Nieuwenhuis and Brahiam Maldonado) will be starting the 2010 season together again for the B-Mets. What kind of advantage is that for you?

Carlos: We all had a good year, but i think there’s definitely room for improvement. it is definitely an advantage. It is rare that all three outfielders move up together. The great part is, we know each other’s game, we are very vocal, and very aggressive out there, so pretty much we have each others backs

Mack: Also, Teddy Dziuba will tell anyone that's listening that you have the best gun from the outfield in minor league baseball. I heard about those "throwing contests" you used to have. Who in the ssytem can keep up with you?

Carlos: Ha ha. Way to put me on the spot, Mack, there are plenty of strong arms through out the system. within any point of a game, we would be able to make a great throw or outstanding play. im sure of it,

Mack: You'll make a great politician… We're getting close to the end now. I could ask you about the autographed bat (ya see, when "The Guzman" was a Gnat, he asked me to hand a signed bat to some hottie that had interviewed him... which obviously led to me asking "where's my bat?"), but no one out there would know anything about that (psst.. don't tell Carlos I told ya...). So last question: I've got you with a 2011 all-star debut in Queens, latest 2012. I don't expect you to comment on that, but what specifically are your goals in 2010, at Binghamton, to make the next jump?

Carlos: My goal for the 2010 season is to keep improving on my game, to continue learning the game, and just get better. i would love to say make it to the Bigs this year, but I’ll leave it to the play on the field. If its meant to be, the time will come, but I promise that i will leave every bit of my heart soul and energy out there on that field. That’s all I can do for the 2010 season and i do appreciate your 2011 and 2012 future prediction.

Mack: Carlos, thank you, and on to 2010.


"The Keepers"

18. Carlos Guzman – OF - AA


The Mets signed Guzman as an undrafted free agent out of Brookdale Community College. Guzman is a native of Brooklyn, NY, and attend John Adams High School, in Richmond Hill, New York, where I grew up. In 2006, Guzman was named to the 1st team NJCAA all region team – Region 19.

In 2007, Guzman played exclusively for the GCL Mets (.215/.358/.392 in 130 at bats). He was called up to the Sand Gnats in May.

In 2008, Carlos played the entire season for Savannah, and played it well: .269/.314/.405 in 294 at bats.

The very good job in Savannah got him a bump to St. Lucie in 2009, and Guzman started out the year leading the league in just about every hitting category. In Lucy, he hit .290/.347/.453/800 in 472 at bats, with 15 home runs (5th in league) and 64 RBIs (8th in league) He was also 8th in the league in OPS.

Forecast: Guzman had had very little respect as a professional baseball player, yet he keeps hitting his way through the levels. I love the guy, but he’s much too streaky and needs to put a good .280+ steady year at the AA level to prove to the experts that he might have a chance in Queens someday, at least as a utility player. Guzman has an infectious personality and is a 1000% team guy, so there are a lot of people rooting for him. He should easily earn a starting slot in the B-Met outfield come April 2010.

No comments: