3/14/12

Mack Ade - Q and A... Jeff and Lucas May


Jeff asked - 

Lucas May is the one player that has caught my attention so far who has a real legit chance to make the roster out of spring.

I’ve researched his numbers and it does seem like this kid has a pretty solid bat for a catcher and I personally like how he looks swinging the bat.

Unfortunately, it’s difficult to find good defensive stats for players in the minors and for me personally, the catching position is the hardest position to judge.  Thank you for reveling that May didn’t start as a catcher, another great reason why I follow your blog. 

Here are my questions…

What have you seen and heard about Mays abilities behind the plate? 

Does he have the ability to be a MLB catcher (starter or bench)?

 Being a pitcher myself, I know that to me nothing else matters about a catcher besides if I like pitching with him…have we heard how the pitchers feel about May behind the plate?

Seeing how weak the Mets are at the #2 position,  does May have a realistic chance to make the club?

If May makes the club, will the Mets set a record by have two Lucases in the lineup?  Is the plural for Lucas “Lucaie”?

We already have one catcher who needs a lot of polishing up of his receiving skills, I’m not sure we need two.  But then again, we could have a real need for another solid bat in the lineup, something Nickeas doesn’t bring.

 Side note: I do believe that R.A.D. hurt Thole’s receiving skills and Pelf hurt his  caught stealing numbers.  Thole needs to get himself more consistent, but I think he’s shown he’s better than what we saw last year.  Any truth to the rumors that the Mets starters had problems with his game calling?

Thanks

Mack:

May was originally a shortstop but he was a man in search of a position that would support his bat. He first tried the outfield and settled behind the plate.

Trust me, if you made organized ball as a shortstop, you have a strong arm.

2007  (A+) was May’s first year as a catcher. He played 78 games (629 innings) and had only 4 errors (.994) with 56 assists.

2008:  AA - 96 games… 679 innings… 8 errors… .989

2009:  AA -  65 games… 463 innings… 10 errors… .981

2010:  AAA – 69 games… 455 innings… 3 errors… .994

2011:  AAA – 42 games… 227 innings… 3 errors… .968

I don’t think any of the Mets pitches have much history, good or bad, with Lucas.

I do believe he has the ability, and bat, to be a backup catcher in the majors, but it’s going to be hard for him to take away Mike Nickeas’ job. The coaches and pitching staff just love working with Mike (him and I have joked for years about him someday becoming the Mets minor league catching coach).

BTW, in defense of Josh Thole, he has worked off-season on his defensive game and I think you will see a better result in 2012 here. (Yes, I too have heard that certain pitchers, especially Mike Pelfrey, have voiced their displeasure with how Thole handled them).

My guess right now… May will start in Buffalo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So pelfry is insinuating his poor play is tholes fault?..it will be a happy day when we rid ourselves of this headcase..!bl

Mack Ade said...

he smacked Thole early last year and they just haven't been on the same page...

a catcher can't make your sinker... sink