9/12/13

Mets KLAW Chat

mets - keith lawChris (NYC) - Josh Satin, Lucas Duda, Allan Dykstra....how nauseous does it make you when people recommend them as starters at 1B for Mets?

Klaw - It's baseball's Stockholm Syndrome - fans of bad teams latch on to mediocre players when that's the best they've got. And then they accuse me of hating their teams when I point out that, hey, Junior Lake isn't anything to get excited about.

Jack (Toronto) - Klaw, I saw that John Manuel said that scouts he talked to in the FSL preferred CJ Edwards to Syndergaard (better breaking ball, better secondary offerings, also throws hard). This seems crazy to me. Wasn't Syndergaard posting triple digits? What do you think about those 2 pitchers?

Klaw - I didn't see John's piece, but I can completely understand that point of view. Velocity doesn't make the pitcher and Edwards has a far better breaking ball. Syndergaard is much further along, which balances things out somewhat.

James (Greenwich, CT) - Brandon Nimmo is showing no pop and he isn't stealing bases. If he is destined for a corner OF position, has his stock gone off a cliff this season?

Klaw - Savannah is a brutal place for power. I'd stay off the ledge for a bit.

Kevin (NY) - I know he was old for the level, But Steven Matz had a nice year. Could there be a solid #4 starter there if he is healthy.

Klaw - I haven't seen him post-surgery, but given his delivery, especially the head-whack, and subsequent injury, I'd say he's more likely a reliever than a starter.

3 comments:

Gary Seagren said...

The really tough thing for us after watching our triple A team get brutalized by the Nats you realize up front and personal that we have a LONG way to go to compete with our division foes who both have as good a starting staff and much better bullpen's and that's before we look at the position players. Only Wright might start for either team and this year Zim and Johnson are having better season's. So after waiting years to get to this off season (and I'm as optimistic a fan as you'll find) the reality is sobering. Throw in the fact that there are NO difference makers on the free agent front so we must have at least 2 or 3 of our younger guys produce AND stay healthy along with very smart free agent signings(think Byrd)and some under the radar trades (think Cone for Hearn and Diaz...I know I'm dreaming but aren't we due for another miracle)that really produce to have any hope for contention next year.

Mack Ade said...

Gary:

No, miracles don't happen in baseball unless you have more than just a good pitching staff.

I'm pretty sick and tired of making excuses for this team.

I want to see something major from the Mets in the off-season before I dedicate another year of this.

Gary Seagren said...

amen Mack