5/11/19

Tom Brennan - ODD MEN OUT IN THE METS INFIELD


HEY, BRODIE? WHO'S THE ODD MAN OUT?

Jed Lowrie had a hell of a year last year.  After an agonizingly long rehab stint this year, he started playing games cold - until Friday in Syracuse where he homered and had 2 other hits.  The kind of stuff that tells you he is ready for call up.

Someone must go.  

My guess is it is Adeiny Hechavarria, although he may be a more effective player now than one of the existing infielders, Todd Frazier.

JED Lowrie deserves lots of playing time.  Last season, he had 61 extra base hits, 99 RBIs and hit .267.  That guy has got to play - a lot.

JD Davis started the season slow.   As in 3 for 20 slow.  Since then?  He has hit .333, and his .372 OBP for the season is impressive.

Then there is Todd Frazier, a .206 hitter with a .289 OBP in 522 Mets plate appearances in 2018 and 2019.  A .143 hitter in 49 at bats this year.  A guy who hit just .213 the year before he became a Met.  Seriously sub par #s over more prolonged periods of playing time.

To me, that guy is at the bottom of the ladder, and should play sparingly.

This team got into a hitting swoon, which cost them several games, and the swoon was entirely coincident with Todd's anemic return from rehab.

Jose Reyes, a long time quality major leaguer in 2018, who like Todd was getting older, kept saying positive things, but hit a damaging .189 in 2018.  

Batting averages don't lie - they just tell the results.

Frazier was quoted in today's Post article as follows:
“I only have 50 at-bats — it’s a real [small] sample size — but I know what I’m capable of.  It’s one of those things, maybe I get a couple of cheap hits here and there, next thing you know I get on a roll.”
Sounds like Reyes circa 2018.  Hollow promises and hopes.
Last year, he hit just .213 - NOT "a real small sample size."

The Post article added that "manager Mickey Callaway did say in his pregame press conference that Frazier’s playing time “will get cut a little bit.”  
Un petit peu, for all you French fans.
Frazier also said in the article, “For me, my confidence is still there, and I’m focused on being the starting third baseman for the Mets until I hear otherwise.”

Someone should tell him "otherwise."  And fast.

If it weren't for salary considerations and I had to pick from those 4 in planned usage order, right now, I would pick:
1) Jed Lowrie
2) J.D. Davis
3) Adeiny Hechavarria
4) Todd Frazier

If the Mets don't want to tell Todd, I'd be happy to.

Why?  I am afraid he could damage (further) the Mets season in 2019, the way Jose did in 2018.  I'd prefer that didn't happen.
Brodie VW should feel the same way.  And tell Todd himself.






11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frazier should have been traded before the season began.

Tom Brennan said...

Anonymous I agree - Frazier and Bruce should have gone in off season trades.

They are like clones of one another. Power, but with low, low averages.

Mack Ade said...

Frazier. (Reyes 2.0)

Anonymous said...

Frazier

Rob said...

Boy I am glad we don't have Vlad Guerrero Jr and his .146 batting average on this team, everyone will want him cut today. Frazier had is worst OBS+ of his career at 94 and his WAR last year was 1.9 in 2/3 of a year. Hechavarria career OPS+ is 75 and a WAR of 1.9 would be the second BEST of his career. No doubt Frazier is struggling this year, but let's give him some time to right the ship. Also, he is one of the leaders of the clubhouse.

Mike Freire said...

The Frazier contract does not belong to BVW, so I would designate him and move on if it were up to me (but it is also not
my money). They made the right choice to move on from TDA, so Frazier should be next to go.

Davis and Lowrie should be playing regularly moving forward.

I don't think it is coincidental that the offense perked up with Davis back in the lineup and Frazier on the bench last night.

Tom Brennan said...

Rob, I would be willing to give Frazier time - but on the bench. JD Davis could be a future Mets mainstay.

I just recall Reyes 2017 - he started bad but did OK - a year later, he was washed up. Frazier is playing like h is washed up. Last year, he walked a share - this year, no walks in 50 plate appearances. Usually a sign guys are slowing up reflex-wise. Heck, he was 10 for 42 with 2 extra base hits in his minors rehab, mostly against A ball pitching.

I'd give Todd a chance - and not DFA him like Mack suggests - but behind Lowrie and JD. If he gets hot, he can leap over JD for now. But, like Mack wrote, "Reyes 2.0".

Sadly, Hech would be a great 26th man, but there is no such thing. Yet.

Briefly to the outfield:

I took another look at Carlos Gomez - last 5 games 9 for 19, some walks, and 4 homers. And K-K-Keon is still here instead of Gomez because...

Tom Brennan said...

On a totally unrelated note, I thought former Mets prospect Marcos Molina was done. Nope, he is another org's AA. 1-4, 4.68 in 6 starts. So, he appears to be no loss.

Hey, and Tebow has 2 doubles in his last 5 ABs LOL.

Rob said...

I am not a Frazier fan, but JD Davis should only be standing at third base when he hits a triple. He is a very below average third baseman, and will probably never drive in as many runs as he lets in with his glove. Let's face it, Carlos Gomez and Rajai Davis are both nothing more than .220 hitters in the majors anymore. But that would be an improvement over Broxton and Davis would give us better baserunning. Everyone wants more defense with this pitching staff, and JD is not the way to go.

John From Albany said...

I am not sure Jed Lowrie can play Third well. He has not impressed at Third base in Syracuse.

Tom Brennan said...

I'll still start the bat...defensive play will improve as guys hit and relax.