8/11/20

Tom Brennan - CAN WE OPT OUT TOO?


I'M OPTING OUT!


NAH, NAH, NAH, NAH NAH, NAH.


So, let me get this straight. 


Marcus Stroman opts out, right after the Mets get squeezed for starters after Michael Wacha goes on the IL with a sore shoulder.


Very disappointing. 


Let me rephrase that:


VERY disappointing.


A small consolation is at least they don't have to pay him over the next several days that he could have dragged this out and THEN said he was opting out.


Doubly painful is giving up Anthony Kay and Simeon Woods Richardson for what amounted to a very short term rental. Kay through Sunday had gone 8 innings, 5 hits, 1 run, 8 Ks for his new team the Blue Jays. 

  

Triply painful is that Straw Man could have stuck around and gotten traded to ANY contending team.  Now, the Mets get zip, other than saving some cold, hard cash.


Elsewhere, former Met disaster Rafael Montero has a 2.32 ERA in 24 outings with Texas, and just saved back to back games for them.


Ex-Met Blake Taylor is pitching lights out for Houston.  The guy we got for him is on the IL.  Where else?


Ex-Met Hansel Robles is 5-3 with 26 saves since the Mets dumped him.


Ex-Met Travis d'Arnaud is clearly making the Mets letting him go look like a Travis-ty.


I polled my brother - his vote hasn't changed - he still hates Brodie and the Wilpons.  Who am I to argue?


I can't go on, so let me opt out of this article before I say something I shouldn't.


Except, at this rate, the 19 on COVID 19 might refer to the number of Mets wins in the Year of COVID.


Of course, the Mets get brutally annihilated by the Nats Monday nite, the same Nats team that was scoring like the 1968 Mets coming in.


Steve Matz started his career 11-1, 2.30.  Hall of Fame tickets were being distributed.  But since then, 20-38, giving up long balls at beyond a prodigious rate. Barring a stunning turn-around...HE MUST GO AFTER 2020. NO EXCUSES. BYE BYE.


If this article posts tomorrow morning before Paul “the Loser” Sewald is released, it will be a sorry statement about the Mets. Some guys are inning eaters.  Sewald is a season eater.  I’d prefer Anthony Young over Sewald, frankly.


I know it’s a short season...but give Pete Alonso a week off anyway. He presses more than a dry cleaner.  


He’s got the Mets promo ad now that starts out, “I’m SO amped up...”  No, frankly, Pete, you’re TOO amped up.  Relax, have fun. Come on, man!  Don’t go all Ike Davis on us now.


OK, I’ll stop now.


Except to say this - can Luis Guillorme close for this team?











7 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

At least we can replace Paul Sewald with Luis Guillorme

Anonymous said...

I find this typeface and font size fairly unreadable.

Jimmy

Unknown said...

Marcus Stroman chose the right uniform number this year. 0. That's what he gave us in 2020.

Guys like Paul Sewald and Cory I'd want just keep coming back. Honestly, there must be something better in the Mets farm system.

Bob W

Unknown said...

That was Oswalt

Bob W

TexasGusCC said...

Has John opted out? Anyone check his hotel room?

BVW was chosen because he promised a rose garden while Chaim Bloom promised a cleansing of the name guys. The Wilpons chose the rose garden.

Hopefully BVW doesn’t trade away any more prospects to “really go for it one last time for Fred”.

Tom Brennan said...

Jimmy, I agree. Done on my tablet, transferred over, looked OK - wasn't OK. I did not have time to fix it this AM.

John is on the one week VL - summer vacation list - he is very missed. Back soon.

Texas, let's hope no trades of prospects. That has not gone well for BVW.

Tom Brennan said...

Spacing fixed, now readable. My apologies.