4/21/22

SAVAGE VIEWS – First Week’s Observations -


 

 SAVAGE VIEWS – First Week’s Observations - 

April 19, 2022 


In the Spring of 2021, I was optimistic about the Mets season and predicated they would win 93 gamesDespite their 7-3 start I am less optimistic about their chances in 2022I would not be surprised to see them miss the playoffs – the competition has gotten stronger. 

Both the Phillies and Braves boast superior lineups than the Mets and if either team’s pitching holds up, they will be tough to beatAnd don’t forget the Marlins with their terrific young armsEvery game within the division is going to be competitive.  My early observations: 

THE BULLPEN – Entering 2021, my major concern was the lack of enough quality arms in the pen.  It’s surprising with all the moves made for this year that the bullpen has not been adequately addressed. In fact, it’s hard to imagine how replacing Loup, Familia and Castro with Shreve, Ottavino and Rodriguez makes us a better team. This is an area that needs to be addressed as the season progresses.  

STARTING PITCHING – It's been spectacular – what else can you say? Strange how things work out. Losing deGrom for the first 6-8 weeks may turn out to be a blessing in disguise as it has given Megill a chance to prove himself. Last year I was singing Hefner’s praises – time to recognize him as one of the best pitching coaches in the league. When deGrom does return and if everyone else is healthy. I suppose Peterson and Walker could head to the pen. Now if we can only get more than 5 innings per start per pitcher. 

THE OFFENSE – Got to say I love the off-season acquisitions of Starling Marte, Eduardo Escobar and Mark Canha. These guys certainly change the dynamics of the team. They are contact hitters who don’t strike out a lot and tend to put the ball in play. Over the past few years, I used to complain a lot about their lack of aggressiveness on the basepaths. These are the new look Mets willing to steal a run when the opportunity presents itself. 

Still, going up against weak competition, they have shown difficulty in mounting a good offense. With a couple of exceptions, their powers numbers are not impressive. Also, let’s stop alternating catchers. Decide on Nido or McCann as the starter and have him play 75% of the games. 

THE BENCH – This is a major concern with too many DHs and not enough role players. Last year we got significant contributions from the bench mob. To be honest, I wish we had Pillar and Villar instead of Smith and Davis. I think Dom and JD are good players that would benefit in another environment. Neither looks comfortable without a defined role. I’m afraid that Jankowski, who is a valuable role player, will be lost when the roster is reduced to 26. 

MANAGEMENT – Hard to be critical of Buck Showalter after 10 games. An argument can be made that better bullpen management would have us 10-0. The next man up approach rather than best man in has me bewildered. Bringing in Rodriguez and Williams in high leveraged situations had us scratching our heads. 

WHAT’S NEXT – The Giants are coming to town and should provide us with a formidable challenge. It should be interesting. 

Ray 

7 comments:

Mack Ade said...

I posted this late and it reads dated.today.

My bad.

Remember1969 said...

So three out of four against the Giants looks like a good statement. Coming back today early after being flat yesterday was good to see.
How many people here were pushing for them to sign Rodon thos winter? He looks like a great pickup for SF.

Remember1969 said...

I am in the minority in my thinking about the bullpen. I see that as a strength. Rodriguez had that one bad outing in Washington, but he has turned it around in his last three outings. And Lugo, everyone's favorite is the only other one to cough up a game. Drew Smith is pitching very well and Shreve will be this year's Loup

Remember1969 said...

I agree with you about the offense. I think the catching will figure itself out. At this point, I have no problem with seeing both McCann and Nido. I still think McCann will start hitting and become the tru starter.

RDS900 said...

Nice to come away with 3 of 4.

Remember1969 said...

And last point..the rest of the division: Philly had shown their weakness already..a team that is prone to hot and cold...poor defense, and ok top of the rotation without much depth. I am not worried about them. Atlanta is still the team to beat, and once Acuna is back they'll be better. Their biggest issue will also be pitching.

Tom Brennan said...

Ray, I think the Mets should start the best hitting catcher - so just call up Alvarez and be done with it. McCann and Nido are 6 for 44 - Mets' catchers hit .210 last year - really? Francisco, I'm ready when you are.

Rest of these Mets' hitters? I think they will do excellently. Last year was a team-wide slump. 1968 was a horrific hitting year. 1969 wasn't 1968. I see no reason (catchers, maybe), if healthy, that this team cannot score a run more per game than in 2021. Don't mis-underestimate them.