8/4/09

Bring on the New Blood




I have been reading some of Mack's recent posts about the Mets trimming payroll and promoting some of the few remaining prospects they have in the minors to contribute at the big league level, and I have to say, I agree with him 100%


I say this after watching a local town league game last night at Trum Field in Somerville, MA. I sat and watched some former college teammates playing with a mixed bag of current college ballplayers, ex-college/high school players and even a smattering of some guys who had had a cup of coffee in pro ball in years past. The thing I took from this game is that ANYBODY can perform if given the opportunity.


While touring the minor leagues in 2007, I was lucky enough to play with some spectacular talent that is almost unknown to the rest of the baseball world. At the same time, a rash of injuries at the major league level meant that the minors were chock full of big league rehabbers looking to get back to Shea as soon as possible. The experience taught me, above all else, that baseball is hard for everyone, major and minor leaguer alike. I witnessed first-ballot hall of famer Pedro Martinez surrender multiple home runs to the Class A Lakeland Flying Tigers. I watched Cliff Floyd go 0-4 with 2 K's and 2 double play ground outs against a pitcher who probably never made it out of A ball. I've caught bullpens for Tom Glavine that probably couldn't break a pane of glass if he tried. I've seen John Maine give up a 400-foot home run to a kid with 1 career minor league home run in 3 seasons (Nick Giarraputo if you're curious, one of my personal favorite teammates to have been lucky enough to play with). The point I'm trying to make, is that baseball is a humbling game, and all of the speculation in the world is worthless until you actually give somebody the chance to perform at the grandest of stages.


So I ask you, is Luis Castillo really $6 Million better than Jon Malo? Sure, Castillo is a former perennial gold-glover who has slapped his way into a nice contract with the Mets. But I submit that Malo is every bit as capable with the leather as ANY player I have ever seen, Major League Baseball included...I'm serious


$2.25 Million for Tim Redding? How about league minimum for Tim McNab. Remember that name Mets fans. His slider is unhittable against Righties and any clubhouse he's a part of is better for having him.


I ask these questions rhetorically of course, because nobody knows the answer until they are finally given an opportunity. I'm telling you, with the exception of the David Wright's and Johan Santana's of the world, their is a minor leaguer in the already depleted Mets system that can handle the task at hand just as well as his big league counterpart. Maybe Madoff is a blessing in disguise, forcing Wilpon's hand to trim salary and give these minor leaguers the chance that they have rightfully earned.



4 comments:

Mack Ade said...

Teddy:

I do a lot of writing/scouting locally for the high schools here and the toughest thing I find is trying to evaulate a high school prospect from a small school that plays against inferior comepetition.

The Mets seem to like to reach out and draft players from small schools.

Your thoughts on this...

Mack

Teddy Dziuba said...

It's really not a black and white answer I can give you Mack, especially when so much of scouting and player development is in the gray area, and arbitrary most of the time

I think the adjustment to pro ball is much easier for pitchers than hitters, and this is no more apparent than when you compare small school and high school draft picks. A 95 mph fastball is still a 95 mph fastball, whether its coming from a polished college senior, or a 17 year old high schooler. But learning how to hit with a wood bat and handle the grind of a minor league season is much harder when you're coming from a small division III conference and you've spent a large part of your career facing pitchers that throw puss, and only play 3-5 games a week. Dylan Owen is a small school guy who dominated right out of the gate in pro ball. So is Zach Lutz, who is pound for pound, one of the best talents the Mets have in the entire system, but he didnt have nearly as much success afte rhe broke in. I think its a question i'll have to devote some blog time to cuz I have a million opinions running through my head...

My best answer for you is every player is different. I've played with high school draft picks that read Kurt Vonnegut, and with 4-year college players that couldn't read their names on a lineup card.

Take for example these two guys:

Nick Evans, as polished a minor leaguer as you'll ever find, was drafted out of a HS in Arizona. Sharp as a tack and hard-working, he willed his way to the big leagues with above average brains and hitting ability.

Brant Rustich comes from one of the top college baseball programs in the country (UCLA) and has more tools than possibly any pitcher in the Mets system, but injuries and mechanical issues have him languishing in A ball

Either way, I think guaging the upside of a college ballplayer is easier than a HS player because there is less room for error in speculating how high their tools will eventually grade out, but its all a 100% crapshoot

The more you think about it, the less sense it makes...Baseball is just funny that way I guess.

derekshowerman said...

Teddy, I live in Haverhill MA. You in MA often?

Teddy Dziuba said...

Hey Derek. Been living in MA since my release with the Mets. I am originally from Wayne, NJ, but recently purchased a home with my fiancee in Malden, MA about 5 miles north of Boston. I work in Quincy full time and had to get my MA license a few months back, so i'm officially a resident