5/4/10

Mathews In Doghouse, Pelfrey Injury Update, Jackie Robinson, Beltran Update... and Lastings Milledge

Mathews In Doghouse:


Gary Matthews Jr. got a chance to start Sunday night with Jerry Manuel giving a day off to Angel Pagan. But after an 0-for-4 night that extended his struggles to 3-for-33 since opening day — 3-for-34 after a pinch-hit groundout Monday — it might be awhile before the next start comes. Manuel has tried to get production from Matthews, Frank Catalanotto and Fernando Tatis but has come up with little so far. “That’s a real tough one,” Manuel said. “I think the thing that would be somewhat encouraging to them is that it’s still May and they have accumulated some at-bats, but probably haven’t been as successful as you’d like to have been. Coming in this month, next month, you would hope to find a routine for them, when they’re going to play, when they’re not going to play.” There are options if Manuel and the Mets decide not to wait until — if — Carlos Beltran returns. Though he is not a center fielder like Matthews, Chris Carter has been hitting well at Class AAA Buffalo. But then again, how many times will Matthews play center? Manuel seems content for now to wait. - link

Pelfrey Injury Update:

It’s too early to call it a “scare,” but the Mets are dealing with their rotation’s first health concern of the season. Mike Pelfrey had an MRI exam yesterday because of tightness he experienced in his right shoulder before and after Saturday’s start against the Phillies. The test revealed no structural damage, according to the Mets. Pelfrey, who has been diagnosed with general shoulder tightness, plans to make his next scheduled start, on Friday against the Giants at Citi Field - link

Jackie Robinson:

When it became clear that baseball’s color line was going to be broken, Negro League owners were in agreement on one thing. “They said I’d be the perfect person to do it,” Monte Irvin said. “I was easy to get along with. I had a little education. I could play every position. But I went to the Service for three years. When I came back in 1946, I got an ear infection, and it took me awhile to regain my former talent.” Irvin is 91 now, living in a Houston retirement community, clear of mind, lively of spirit. He still has the arms, hands and presence of a great athlete. He has no regrets about how it worked out. “May I just say this? We weren’t jealous of Jackie Robinson, but we were envious,” he said. “We knew this was a big thing. Most of us had never heard of him. He only played for Kansas City for maybe a month or two. He was better known in California as a track star and a football player.” Robinson apparently wasn’t liked by some black players. “He was tough to know,” Irvin said. “He thought he was God’s gift to the world. You’d say, ‘Hello, Jackie,’ and you’d keep going. He’d go one way, and you’d go another.” - link

Beltran Update:

Carlos Beltran (knee) told the New York Post on Monday that he will begin running by the end of next week. Beltran has been taking batting practice for over a week, but has yet to truly test his surgically-repaired knee. "Physically, I'm in good shape. I feel strong. ... I'm looking forward to running outside and doing things related to baseball, like in a game. Running is the thing that will dictate everything." Once he's able to sprint with ease, a rehab assignment will be prescribed. The Mets are hoping he will be back in uniform by the middle of June.- link


Lastings Milledge:

Lastings Milledge is stuck in a 4-for-26 slump, still searching for his first home run, and seemingly just poking everything to the opposite field. “I feel like I’m doing well,” Milledge said after going 1 for 4 with an infield single. “It’s a slow start, but I’m doing everything I can. I have no regrets when I leave the field. I’m not paying attention to my numbers. I’m paying attention to how I do in key situations.” Milledge is 7 for 20 with runners in scoring position, but the Pirates’ primary problem is that they do not generate enough runners in the first place: Their .310 on-base percentage is the league’s second-lowest, and Milledge’s .289 figure is third-lowest among left fielders. - link

No comments: