12/9/10

Mack Report – Fiscal Responsibility, Everyone Available, and 2012 Monies, and Boof

The Mack Report – December 9, 2010



In response to those of you that wrote me yesterday, David Rubin and I were just trying to have some fun about “fiscal responsibility” and I decided to take the side of over-spending. Truthfully, I’m not unhappy at anything the new guys have done so far, especially on Tuesday. Coming home from the winter meetings with two new members of your 25-man squad is an accomplishment.


Michael G. Baron
 I like the “everybody’s available” tag put on this team by Mr. Alderson. No one in their right mind is going to take a run at David Wright, but you never know what someone will offer for a Jose Reyes or Carlos Beltran. The BoSox Beltran rumors are particularly interesting, only if the Mets can get some good prospects in return. Jacoby Ellbury is a good outfielder, but the Mets already have Angel Pagan. And, they don’t need an aging Marco Scuturo to really screw up the second base situation. No, give me Casey Kelly (fat chance)- especially since he was already dealt to the Padres!!


Michael G. Baron
 I read some comments yesterday that Mr. Alderson said that he might not spend the monies that come off the books at the end of the 2011 season. I don’t believe that. What I do believe is the Mets will put up the best team that money can’t buy, in 2011, get to around June, dump Reyes, and Beltran, and see exactly what is needed to become a pennant contender in 2012. Don’t be surprised if Matt Harvey and Jenrry Mejia aren’t in the Queens rotation in 2012.



So, let me asks you a question. If you know your 2012 rotation is going to be Santana, Pelfrey, Harvey, Niese, and Mejia, just how much should you spend this year on an SP5? I mean, this team isn’t going anywhere in 2011 and what money they do have available might spend better on bats. You have Dillon Gee and R.A. Dickey to throw up in April.


And, could this be one of the reasons Dickey hasn’t been signed to a multi-year deal?

So, the Mets end last night by signing P Boof Bonzer to a minor league contract. This is a guy that they rave about his rookie year, one he went 4.22 with a 1,.28 WHIP. That was his best year. Lifetime MLB: 19-25, 5.19, 1.46. Only five pitchers in baseball have a higher HR/IP ratio since his rookie season. Ollie is even lower. Ya gotta love agents.

Come on... Omar's gotta be still around... he's in the back, on the phone, right???

Mack Ade
 Then, I go back online one last time waiting for my pill to kick in, and Adam Rubin writes that Freddie Garcia might be an option in 2011. Wait a minute? Is this a Nam flashback? Wasn't Garcia an option in 2009? I was there on picture day and actualy got real good one of him (look right >>). Didn't he go out there and dish up an 84 mph fast ball, which actually got slower in the second inning he pitched? Wasn't I standing behind home plate next to Saul Katz and Omar Minaya who were both shaking their heads at what was going on?

Jesus, it's going to break my heart to miss spring training this year.

No comments: