7/6/13

Optimism




Things just keep getting more interesting this season.

Last night, two ‘old stars’ returned.

1B Ike Davis had three singles and you have thought he re-directed the flow of water in the Suez Canal.

Then, long forgotten OF Kirk Nieuwenhuis went something like 8-9 and brought back all those visions of his future sun tan lotion and Old Spice commercials.

All this during a game in which another young arm, Zack Wheeler, is proving he belongs at this level.

There seems to be a lot of that ‘belonging at this level’ going around which makes one wonder just how many external pieces are really needed on this team. What if Eric Young Jr. is for real, all the Captain went through was a slump like Ike, and Cesar Puello survives the Florida drug scandal. Could it be possible that the ‘future’ Mets outfield is already in the organization, just waiting to be upgraded when guys like Brandon Nimmo mature?

I’ve learned a big lesson this year and it was taught to me by Juan Lagares. I never considered him major league material and yet he has proven to me to be the best defensive player the team has for centerfield while, at the same time, holding his own in the .225 range at the plate. That obviously isn’t good enough, but it’s a hell of a lot more that I thought him capable of doing and better than some around him (Nieuwenhuis) have done until last night.

I like this team right now. I think I like it because it’s filled with all the guys I’ve been writing about over the years. I don’t try to keep up with the myriad amount of Mets minor league blogs out there. There are people posting tweets on every at bat for players from the GCL to Vegas team. Do these kids eat? Have they ever been out on a date?

My interpretation of the minor league system is to let the players come to me. Toby Hyde taught me that I can’t make a bad player into a good one, though the difference between Toby and I is I still like to say  nice things about the marginal ones.

I’m starting to wonder just what is going to be done during this trading season… if anything. There still is an outside chance that the Mets can make a run for a playoff spot and most of the teams that are ahead of them in the race are on their schedule during the second half of the season.

All you need here are two small things to happen.

The starters have to stretch their starts into a minimum of seven innings.
The key players can no longer slump.

The starters need to get you to the 8th inning giving up three or less runs. Add to that ‘normal potency from the heart of your lineup (Young, Murphy, Wright, Davis, Byrd, Nieuwenhuis) and you’re winnings more than you have in the past.

Now, bring back a healthy Duda, Niese, Byrdak, Tejada (replace Valdespin), and Atchison and… you just may have what it takes to make a run here.

I’m just saying.

4 comments:

Charles said...

I'd platoon Kirk and Lagaras in center, get the best of both worlds. I'd also promote Flores, put him at second and move Murphy to the bench. That strengthens the team. Murphy is way too hot and cold for me, I like consistency. It seems Murphy is red hot for two weeks and then he becomes an iceberg for the next two.

I'm still playing for 2014, so I'd look to trade some assets. To me, Bryd, Murphy, Duda, and Buck would all be on the market. I'd also look to move either Gee or Hefner. I'd need to get a future outfielder from somebody, a good prospect that's really close, and that's only going to happen by trading a starter. If you package Gee and Bryd to a contender, you could probably get something good in return.

It's obvious that Wheeler can't control any of his pitches, I'm actually wondering how he got out of AA? It's either nerves or they pushed him too quickly. Hopefully it's nerves. He reminds me of AJ Burnett. Three plus pitches and no idea where they're going. You'd expect some improvement, hopefully he becomes at least a number 3. One thing I'm sure of, there's no way I trade Montero or Syndergaard while Wheeler has all these control issues. Not everyone fulfills their potential and there's safety in numbers.

That still leaves Mazzoni, deGrom, Tapia, Ynoa, Lara, Verret, and Fulmer to help make a future deal. Plenty of arms their with upside. Matz stays in the system because he's the only real lefty starter with big upside.

So, I spend the rest of 2013 giving my closest prospects a look while also looking to deal some assets to help fortify my 2014 roster. To me, a lose is just as good as a win this season to help in the 2014 draft. If Sandy's plan succeeds, their wont be many protected picks after 2014 so that makes next years draft really important.

I pray like hell d'Arnaud gets back to AAA soon and eventually gets a cup of coffee with the mets in September. This kid needs at bats and time to get to know their best pitchers.

Mack Ade said...

You know Charles, I'm asking a lot of questions and getting no answers at all.

I don't think the Mets are going to do anything.

I hope I'm wrong.

Charles said...

I think your right. For some reason, and that probably includes attendance, Sandy has only traded one real asset at the deadline....Beltran. They put way too much value on wins once the team is so obviously out of it. I say trade Bryd, Murphy, and Gee. Acquire the young core of 2014 and beyond.

Wright, Wheeler, Harvey, DarNo, and Parnell are the keepers. I'd keep Hefner as well unless I got a great offer that had to include him. Ike is a big ?, but at this point why trade him at such a low price?

I think promoting Flores is a huge piece to their puzzle. This team is starved for a good, young right handed bat and he could be it. I'm sorry, I'm beginning to hate Murphy. He is just so hot and cold in every part of his game.

Mack Ade said...

it's interesting that the LAD-Nolasco deal will be three LAD minor leaguers...

I wonder what that means for a Hefner deal...

could he be worth 2 players?