10/18/14

Ernest Dove - Getting That Wintery Good Feeling From Brandon Nimmo



 Well, who needs a boring offseason, when we can continue to discuss, argue about and get excited about Mets (prospects) baseball (during the winter time, or fall, or whatever it is because I live in Florida so its the same season permanently).
  And, as a true Mets fan, I've decided to get overly excited about a week of Arizona Fall League Baseball.  Why?  Because, once again, we have found Nimmo (on a roster out there).  You know, the kid, who apparently is growing into a man..... at a position of NEED in this organization.  As many around Mets universe talk about who to give out 1 and even 2 year contracts to, in order to field that other corner outfield spot, we may already be fielding that person, at least in Vegas, come 2015. 
  I guess, in theory, the issue can remain the same, as far as the pitching strategy.  The Mets can simply trade from excess pitching, as needed.  And so, in theory, they can also trade excess outfielders, by trading away whichever random outfield veteran they may sign in the offseason.  Although, if you think about it, the Mets signed Chris Young last offseason.  How did that signing, and disappearing trade value pan out for us?
  Any, no, I'm not going to push for Brandon Nimmo to immediately grab a helmet and head to Citi Field for April 2015.  And no, I'm not overly exited about an opening day lineup may include den Dekker , Puello,, Campbell, and/or whatever 30 something veteran they can convince to resurrect their career (on a short term lease) with the organization.  So, I guess, I'm simply sticking to the actual point that Brandon Nimmo may still be becoming what we hope he can be.  And, after a measly 5-6 random winter ball games, he is still showing me something.
  Nimmo, now at age 21, seems to still be doing a little of what he was projected to do as a teenager. As he continues along in an offseason league which has some well known prospects around the MLB, Nimmo maintains a high OBP, and has been utilizes that sweet swing of his to continue to collect hits.
  During the 2014 season, I've seen different reports and analysis about his progress from different random 'experts' from other sources and sites (I prefer my Mack's Mets people for info).  After seemingly having a ceiling as a .300 hitter, I started seeing other now project a lower batter average, with more pop in his bat.  I don't know, to me, that sounds kinda lazy.  I mean, the kid just bulked up, big time.  That being said, it is probably safe to assume that you don't simply put on the muscle an weight, and then keep hitting for average immediately.  And you can't simply feel that now he is to become a home run hitter, and sacrifice average because of the added power.
  So, I've decided to stick to some of the original reports, scouting, analysis and projections.  I want to continue to envision a high average, high OBP, sweet swinging 'legit' corner outfielder.  And if this 'package' already finds himself at the AAA level to start the 2015 season, then I am already excited about might become of him, and this team. And, every time I look up on this Mack's Mets website, and see a post detailing more hits and walks from Nimmo, I can't help but get a little giddy.
  I'm happy because, we are thought to be a team without a shortstop, a corner outfielder, and another lefty reliever.  Well, we've got a top outfield prospect possibly starting at the level just before the big leagues.  We also already have a player who has shown enough talent, and power to easily prove more potential then some other shortstops in this league, and this wintery league of leagues also is currently showcasing a absolute surprise lefty reliever, who is also facing some stiff competition.
  So, what am I saying? I have no idea.  All I know is that I am finding Nimmo very pleasing to the eye (his swing, not his looks). I'm enjoying the time of checking stats, wondering about our prospects showing their worth, and maybe heating up, in the Arizona desert, over the winter......... wait, what.....

9 comments:

Mack Ade said...

I can't remember the last time a bad word was written about this guy

Ernest Dove said...

Yeah , I haven't really read anything negative. But im confused by a couple random people who project low batting average as a major leaguer. Im too lazy to go find the writer/writers from whichever other websites it was LOL.
Everyone praises his sweet swing, and ability to draw walks, so im hoping .275+ BA.

Ernest Dove said...

Here's to hoping Mets hit the lottery with Nimmo and/or Conforto.

Michael S. said...

It's great to see Nimmo grow into who he was expected to be. He's 'growing' into his talent and I think when he matures as a MLB hitter, you're looking at .300/.375+/.450 OF. I think he'll hit #2 in the lineup.

Tom Brennan said...

Nimmo's stock is rising fast. Maybe he gets it all together a lot faster than most any of us think, and is ready mid-2015.

Michael S. said...

That would be fantastic. I have no problem with him starting at LV. If the Mets add an OF this offseason and Nimmo is ready sometime 2015, hopefully we can do something with the last two years of Granderson's deal.

Mack Ade said...

Let's not rush Nimmo... target him for opening day 2016 and maybe, just maybe, we'll see him earlier.

As for Grandy, my early prediction is you're going to be pleasantly surprised with his return in 2015... I'd say .250, 27-HR, 85-RBI.

Mack Ade said...

Let's not rush Nimmo... target him for opening day 2016 and maybe, just maybe, we'll see him earlier.

As for Grandy, my early prediction is you're going to be pleasantly surprised with his return in 2015... I'd say .250, 27-HR, 85-RBI.

Michael S. said...

Sweet, that'll make him that much more movable.