12/12/15

Mack’s Morning Report – 12-12-15 – John Ricco, Infield Defense, Jon Niese, Astrubel Cabrera, Alfredo Reyes



Good morning.


Bob asked

Mack - I am not sure if anybody else noticed, or even cared but...... I found it very interesting that taking center stage at the winter meetings for the Mets was the assistant general manager Ricco. Just looking at the title of Ricco's position as general manager, it makes perfect sense of course. In the Mets case however, I find it very interesting that the other heads of Alderson's hand picked Troika, Ricciardi & DePodesta stayed out of the spotlight. I wonder who might have taken a more leading role, if any.

                   Mack – Thanks for the question, Bob.

My guess is this came from the Wilpons out of respect for the years he has been part of the organization. Ricco joined the Mets in 2004 and became Assistant General Manager in 2006. He was then named as the interim General Manager when Omar Minaya exited and ran the team until Sandy Alderson arrived.

Like you, I always wondered which VP was #2, Ricciardi or DePodesta. I guess we’re going to have to wait longer to find out someday.



I was surprised to read a story by  Mark Simon about how the Mets have improved their middle infield… wait for it… defense.

Some facts he stated:

                   Over the last three seasons, Daniel Murphy had 106 Good Fielding Plays and 104 Defensive Misplays and errors in a little more than 2,800 innings at second base, including an 11/18 rate in 2015

                   Neil Walker had 145 Good Fielding Plays and 73 Misplays and errors in just over 3,500 innings, including a 36/24 rate in 2015.

                   Cabrera graded out at -8 defensive runs saved in 1,141 innings in 2015

                   Mets shortstops combined for -26 defensive runs saved last season, the worst total for any team at an infield position

We talked earlier this week about the increase in offensive production with Walker and Cabrera so, on the surface, there seems to be a win-win situation here.



My last thoughts on Jon Niese, after his half-assed verbal shot at the Mets (“I’m sure what I’ll appreciate more than anything is the way the Pirates play defense. I’m looking forward to that.”)

First, I met him three times in my life, all in the Mets clubhouse. He was always respectful to me both as a reporter and as a human being.

Reports I had was he did not enjoy playing for the New York Mets. I don’t know why and I can’t prove if this statement is true, but I’ve been told it multiple times.
Even more than that, I’ve been told he hated playing for Terry Collins. Again, no proof, just statements from others.

I wish him well in Pittsburgh except for the days he is chosen to pitch against the Mets. I think every baseball player goes on the field and tries to do their best, regardless of what team they play for or who they are playing against.

Except Chase Utley, but that’s another story.

Good luck Jon. I think you were a great Met. I really do.



On the Asdrubel Cabrera signing –

        I’m being told that Cabrera was ‘Plan 3’ if the Zobrist deal didn’t go through. ‘Plan 2’ was Neil Walker. The Mets wasted little time in calling back Pittsburgh and putting that to bed, but, in the long run, Mets VPs decided they couldn’t pass up the chance to upgrade the team at shortstop as well.

       

The Mets SS Alfredo Reyes (Pirates) was chosen in the minor league phase of the Rule V Draft. Reyes was an ex-international bonus baby that hit .228 (232-AB) last year for Brooklyn. His best year as a Met was 2013 (DSL Mets) where he hit .316


14 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

Sign Cespedes now that money is saved with Cuddyer retiring. No time to be timid. Sign him and win some World Series. Screw the Cubs.

Good luck, Niese.

Improved mid-infield D, with good hitting. What more could we ask?

Tom Brennan said...

Sign Cespedes now that money is saved with Cuddyer retiring. No time to be timid. Sign him and win some World Series. Screw the Cubs.

Good luck, Niese.

Improved mid-infield D, with good hitting. What more could we ask?

Zozo said...

Yes get Cespedes!!!!! They can move him to Right after this year, if they can trade Granderson with one year of control left next year?

Zozo said...

Cuddyer penned a great piece for the players tribune on his retirement
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/michael-cuddyer-retirement/

Herb G said...

I guess most, if not all, of us are in agreement that the Cuddyer money should be allocated to resigning Cespedes. I would love to see that happen, but I am not optimistic, since there are other signings we need as well, and with Ces, there might be enough payroll flex to do them. (In addition to a CF, we need another starter like Colon and at least one solid reliever for the 8th inning)

Consider, if they sign either Parra or Span to platoon with Lagares, we wouldn't get the pop we would get with Cespedes, but we'd get a leadoff hitter (enabling Terry to bat Grandy in the middle of the order) with a similar avg, much higher OBP, more SB's and superior defense. And then we could make a strong run at Carlos Gomez as a FA after the 2016 season, if he comes back in 2016 with the Astros.

Mack Ade said...

Herb -

who backs up Duda at first now that Cadaver is gone?

That Adam Smith said...

Saving $12 mil for one year doesn't exactly free up enough money to segment Cespedes for $120 million for six. At least, I don't think the Wilpons will see it that way. Also, something tells me that despite his monstrous two months, the org doesn't really like him.

An interesting thing I've noticed, and it started in the second half last year, is that the FO keeps talking about getting their infielders rest. I'm a big fan of the idea that most guys, over a long hot season, will play better at 130-140 games played than 150-160. Particularly in the post-amphetamine world. I think that having depth and versatility on the IF will let them do that, and I was pleasantly surprised at how flexible Terry was doing just that after Johnson and Urine showed up. I'm a big Flores fan, for instance, and I'd get the kid a 1B glove and have him playing somewhere on the IF 5 days per week. He's not a great SS, but we've seen that he can handle it, and he could become a very valuable guy with a long career as a 500 AB "utility" guy. If they do a decent job mixing it up, I think all of them will benefit.

That Adam Smith said...

Umm, I can't seem to edit from my phone, but obviously that should read Uribe, not "Urine." Sorry Uribe.

Herb G said...

Mack-
I think there are several options to back up Duda. You know there has been a lot of talk about giving both TdA and Plawecki time at other spots (1B makes a lot of sense) and I'd like to see them do the same with Flores & Wright. Additionally, I DFA Tejada and resign Kelly Johnson. Do you think that would give us enough backup?

Tom Brennan said...

I'm with you, Herb.

Tom Brennan said...

I'm with you, Herb.

Anonymous said...

Morning mack and guys.. how about a call to Tampa Bay?? Could the Mets get Keirmier and Jake McGee??

Zozo said...

I heard somewhere Keirmier was one of the highest WAR guys last year, probably cost us an arm and a leg to get them 2

Unknown said...

Wonder if a deal for Jackie Bradley jr. might be the answer for CF. He's only 25 and cost controlled. No idea who they'd want though but its a thought.