TOP 50 METS PROSPECTS: #11 THRU 15 – Tom BrennanA minor league system that in 2015 promoted several, traded many, had several prospects run into the Tommy John buzzsaw, and saw a few guys go from prospect to suspect. Leaving a diminished, but still solid, minor league system prospect-wise.
(See website sidebar for list of my #16-50 dudes, covered in prior articles.)
Today, here’s my #11 thru #15:
11. JEFF MCNEIL: I thought he should have been co-MVP of the FSL with Dominic Smith, but my ballot had a hanging chad on it so it was not counted, despite Al Gore's complaints. Gore got quite heated about it, which is not good for global warming. McNeil played 119 games for St Lucie and hit .312/.373/.382 with 80 runs scored and 16 of 21 steals. Only 59 Ks. A whole lot to like. Solid D. Add some pop and his value will be indisputable.
12. PATRICK MAZELKA: I am ranking this 2015 8th round selection high, high, high (perhaps too high), after a superlative season in Kingsport rookie ball. He hit a robust .354/.451/.540 in 62 games, and made but a single error catching for the K Mets. Should have been the league’s MVP. Got gypped. Get him into a full season league in 2016. In my opinion, make that assignment St Lucie and let's see what he's got.
13. LUIS GUILLORME: A 10th round pick in 2014, Luis impressed in 2014 in rookie ball. How would he do in full season ball in 2015? How about MVP of the S. Atlantic League. He shouldn’t have won it – he should have been promoted mid season instead, but with a glut of infielders in higher leagues, he stayed, played 122 games, hit .318/.391/.354, and drove in 55 runs, stealing 18 of 26 and flashing leather. Great year, period. Only area of focus would be more extra base hits. Most likely slated for the FSL, where he will try to win another MVP.
14. EUDOR GARCIA: This 2014 4th rounder manned 3B for the Gnats and had a sweet year. In 105 games, he raked with a line of .296/.340/.442. Needs to tamp down a little on the strikeouts, and boost his walk rate, but he is one possible candidate to replace David Wright at some point at the hot corner. 12 errors, needs to tighten that up.
15. WUILMER BECERRA: We got two great players from Toronto for RA Dickey – Thor and d’Arnaud – who could ask for anything more? Well, Sandy was greedy and asked for Becerra too. Request granted. Wuilmer’s year (.290/.342/.423) virtually cloned Eudor Garcia’s for Savannah, except he stole more (16 of 24). A real possibility for the OF in Queens by late 2017 or 2018, at which point another thank you note should be sent to the Blue Jays. Headed most likely for St Lucie in 2016
40 prospects (#11 - #50) have been covered, so...
the top 10 is coming up in my next 2 articles.