12/19/15

Reese Kaplan -- What Do You Want Under the Tree?

I
f you were writing to Santa Fred and had the chance to ask for anything on your wish list, what would it be?  Here are a few thoughts to get us started…

  • I want right handed centerfielder who can drive in 100 runs.  While a Cespedes for the rest of us would make many people happy, there are others who might fill that bill and help balance out the currently lefty-heavy lineup featuring Lucas Duda, Curtis Granderson and Michael Conforto.

  • I want a bullpen that is reliable beyond the relatively sure thing of Jeurys Familia.  While Yoenis Cespedes got much of the credit for the Mets surge to the post season, Tyler Clippard and Addison Reed both helped immensely as well. 

  • I want a bench that features some veteran players who can take the field occasionally when the starters need some time off.  Hopefully the days of Anthony Recker, Eric Campbell and Kirk Nieuwenhuis are in the rear view mirror.

  • I want a plan upfront for the inevitable time lost by David Wright and Travis d’Arnaud instead of the wringing of hands and the Mendoza-line backups used in desperation.

  • I want younger players to get a legitimate chance to succeed instead of being relegated to the 8th spot in the batting order with no protection or benched the day after they deliver a clutch performance. 

  • I want performance to dictate playing time and not salary.

  • I want consistency from Lucas Duda.

  • I want to see offensive players flourishing in the upper minors like Dilson Herrera, Brandon Nimmo and Gavin Cecchini.

  • I want health for the Mets ballplayers.  I'm looking at you, Rafael Montero...David Wright...Travis d'Arnaud...Jerry Blevins...

  • I want some baserunning speed in the lineup (but not Eric Young, Jr.).

  • I want to see some intelligent decisions made in the lineup and during the game.

  • I want a return to the World Series.


What's on your Santa Fred wish list?

5 comments:

Mack Ade said...

Reese -

that's quite the stuffed stocking...

you've got the list covered pretty well...

bgreg98180 said...

Dear Santa Fred

Can I please have for Christmas a complete major league roster from the beginning of the season until the end of the season?

(Hopefully one in which you have traditional 3rd and 4th place hitters in the lineup)

Thank you

Metsiac said...

With David, Travis, a MIF that includes two SHers and Wilmer we're not short on RH bats. Plus, Lag did very well vs LHPs.

Give me a CFer to complement Lag vs RHPs ( I like Revere if not Span), and solidify the pen, and I'm satisfied.

Tom Brennan said...

As the jingle goes, All I want for. Christmas is a Cespedes, a Cespedes, a Cespedes...

Tom Brennan said...

As the jingle goes, All I want for. Christmas is a Cespedes, a Cespedes, a Cespedes...