12/1/20

Tom Brennan - WOULD YOU METS GM'S SIGN THIS CATCHER?



We need a catcher.  After all, Wilson Ramos is so slow he just got home after the season.  Slow, I tell ya.

OK, well, he's not quite that slow, but he ain't coming back (at least as a starter, and doubtfully as a back up).

So how about signing this guy?

536 at bats, 29 doubles, 25 HRs, 75 RBIs, .273/.335/.475, with a 33% CS rate?

I'd take one of those.

No, that's not J.T. Realmuto.

That's James McCann over the past 2 seasons.

For a catcher, that's danged good.  

He's about 6 months older than JT, but he had a terrific (if brief) 2020, so he sure seems capable.

I'd love to get J.T. Realmuto.  Wouldn't you?  He's the best.

But I would not sneeze at getting a McCann cheaper and getting a few more truly pro relievers to prevent the back-end-of-bullpen blues that has plagued this Mets team for so many years.

I happened to watch part of the 2006 Mets pennant clincher the other day.  That was some team, great stars, 3 guys (David Wright, Carlos Delgado, Carlos Beltran) with over 110 RBIs each, Jose Reyes in his prime, Paul LoDuca having a great year, etc.  

But that 1996 team also had 9 back-end pitchers who combined to pitched about 230 innings and allowed 7 runs per 9 innings, and 5 hitters who hit .134 in 179 combined at bats.  

All to say that all players matter, in terms of then needing to be competent.  

Your lowest 5 guys getting 179 ABs should hit .200 at a minimum.  Your fringe pitchers throwing 230 innings should give the team, say, a 5.00 ERA or better. 

Those abysmal 2006 performers did not derail the 2006 team, but they sure didn't help.  Maybe the 2006 team wins 102 games with stronger fringe players.  

I don't want to see 2021 derailed by these fringe disaster player types.  

So, if signing a McCann and not a Realmuto because finances are not limitless means we can get more depth on the roster, I can live with that.

How about you?


7 comments:

Dallas said...

I'm in. He looks like he has figured things out and will be a very productive player and a massive upgrade over Ramos. I assume he is cheaper and less years and doesnt hamstring the Mets when their #1 prospect gets closer to ready. Leaves more money for Springer and rotation help.

TexasGusCC said...

Many years ago I heard a phrase, that I never forgot and has never let me down: “Buy the best, and you’ll never regret it”. You said it yourself, Realmuto is the best. Don’t make the Wilponian decision, make the “Dodger” decision. There’s a reason something is the best.

McCann has played sparingly and successfully. How about before last year? How about the .221, .253, and .220 years? It may be to shake down Boras, but it won’t work. This is Jason Bay while Matt Holliday goes to the Yankees. Realmuto is more important than Springer, and they’re drooling for Springer - which I wouldn’t be doing. Sorry Tom, not falling for this BS any more. What happened to the filet mignon aisle?

Reese Kaplan said...

Realmuto also has had health issues which McCann has not. I'm in the first boat -- get a competent defensive catcher who is adequate with the bat for significantly less money and use that money to address other needs such as CF, IF, SP and RP.

Tom Brennan said...

Texas Gus, you sound just like my brother. And frankly, this is a devil's advocate article. I also want Realmuto. In fact, Realmuto AND Bauer AND Springer is the right shock-and-awe move to make...if, as Reese warns, Realmuto is healthy come 2021. Get Lindor too. Come on. Mets fans deserve a killer team. And a solid cadre of stars? Wow. Springer, Nimmo, Conforto, McNeil, Alonso, Lindor, Realmuto, Smith, and Davis 9or an upgrade there, too).

Why not a $275 million to $300 million payroll? Little wallets fret about luxury taxes.

Dallas, would I be sorry if they got McCann? Not at all. Would I be disappointed they did not get a healthy Realmuto? Yes.

Because, like my brother, I want it all in 2021. The Cohen era should start with a high 90s win, division winning team. To me that means BIG SPENDING. The last 51 years, we had one World Series winner and a few World Series losers. We need to be in the top 3 of odds-on favorites every year.

Dallas said...

I don't like the idea of trying to buy a championship. I want to see them win yes and with shrewd moves and homegrown talent. Its part of what makes the game fun for me. My favorite players are McNeil & DeGrom. I loved following them through the system as late round picks and unheralded and become stars.

In a similar vein there is nothing less rewarding then just signing your competitors star free agents. I hated seeing the Mets sign Glavine for example.

I think McCann is a perfectly reasonable option that gives the Mets flexibility now and in the future. Everyone likes to be super splashy as if that is going to work long term. Signing every 30yo+ free agent to deals into their mid-30's will backfire faster than you think. A McCann, Springer, Bauer offseason alone would be completely insane and transform the team. I wouldnt be disappointed in less than that because I believe in Cohen and having a process to be awesome long term. Too many people forget that we have internal free agents coming up - Conforto/Syndergaard/Stroman as well as a DeGrom opt out and that our core will get more expensive each year. Things escalate pretty quickly.

I think the chips will start to fall quickly once we see how is non-tendered tomorrow and the front office can build up their A plan with backups knowing the full market.

Seattle Steve said...

It is easy to spend other people's money especially during a pandemic...F Alverez Is 19 but his baseball ability is beyond that ... Boston brought up Devers the Nationals brought up Soto and another star whose name escapes me now but they were not old enough to buy a drink but were more than capable...sign McCann ...ggive the kid a true shot...

Tom Brennan said...

Seattle Steve, Alvarez's arrival should be taken into account when they sign someone. I did an article several months ago wondering if Alvarez might be our Juan Soto. If he is ready by 2022, that would be great.

Soto sure did not need a lot of minor league ABs to reach the big leagues. He is incredible. If Alvarez can be anywhere close to that, it would be a thrill.

That could be another reason they'd sign McCann might be a better signing - if Alvarez is Piazza II in a year (we can wish), McCann's smaller contract might make him easier to move.