8/3/09

Minors Stuff




Extended Camp:.

#7 Prospect - Fernando Martinez OF Knee surgery latest in growing list of injuries; still an elite power hitting prospect




The Herd:


The Toledo Mud Hens continue to feast on Buffalo Bisons pitching. A day after pounding five home runs and scoring 11 runs, the Toledo offense was at it again Sunday in beating the Herd, 6-1, at Fifth Third Field. Mike Hessman hit a towering solo home run in the third and Don Kelly followed with a two- run shot in the fifth as the Mud Hens jumped out to a 5-0 lead. The Bisons' scheduled starter, Nelson Figueroa, was a scratch. He will start for the Mets tonight at Citi Field against Arizona. Left-hander Adam Pettyjohn made his first start as a Bison. He took the loss, tossing six innings with five runs on eight hits and striking out four.


B-Mets:


From Brad Holt's first-inning struggles, to manager Mako Oliveras' ejection after the sixth inning, to leaving the tying run on base twice in the final two innings, Sunday proved to be an all-around frustrating night for the Binghamton Mets. The Akron Aeros completed a three-game sweep with a 3-2 victory over the B-Mets at NYSEG Stadium. Holt (2-5), one of the top-rated prospects in the Mets' minor-league system, walked a season-high six batters over six innings. Three of those walks came to consecutive hitters in the first inning, as Akron took a 2-0 lead. "It was just frustrating," Holt said of his first inning. "I had a lot of stuff going through my mind, thinking about mechanics and trying to find my release point. I knew where it was supposed to be, it was just a matter of getting it there." Holt said he felt good in his pre-game bullpen session. But Jose Constanza led off the game with a single up the middle and things went downhill. Holt walked the next three batters, including a bases-loaded free pass to Carlos Santana that scored Constanza and gave Akron a 1-0 lead. "It was a rough start," Holt said. "I was behind the ball and pushing it instead of being on top of it and out in front, getting good extension."

Robert Carson was on the verge of surrendering the Sand Gnats' two-run lead in the fifth inning Sunday. The Bowling Green Hot Rods had runners on second and third with only one out. "I was just thinking the whole time that they're not going to score because I just wanted to keep the lead," Carson said. "My last few starts, I haven't been like myself lately." Carson got out of the jam. He struck out Anthony Scelfo. After walking Tim Beckham, he got Jake Jefferies to fly out to end the inning. The rain did the rest. A storm came and the game was eventually called. Carson pitched a complete game in the team's five-inning, 3-1 win. "I felt like myself from earlier in the season," he said. "I was in good rhythm, I was focused. I had a lot of confidence today that my fastball was very good. I was just able to throw my stuff and I feel like I'm back now." Prior to Sunday, Carson had gone through two of his worst outings of the season. He didn't last a combined five innings and gave up 11 runs in the two games. He said he had problems with his fastball. "It was OK," he said. "But I just had trouble finding location and being able to command it and getting the ball down. But today, it really came through today when I was warming up in the bullpen."

The Cyclones, still reeling from losing X of five to the hated Staten Island Yankees this week, headed to Hudson Valley to kick off a home-and-home series with the pesky second-place Renegades. The game started well enough, with the Cyclones scoring a run in the fourth on Tyler Vaughn’s RBI single. Starter Collin McHugh gave up three runs in the home fourth on three singles and a double, and it looked bad for the Cyclones. But the bold Brooklynites stormed back, scoring single runs in the fifth (SAC fly by Justin Garber), sixth (a Dock Doyle two-out RBI single), seventh (a Garber RBI single) and eighth (on a Doyle RBI double) to sail to victory.


K-Port:

Just when it looked like Kingsport’s unbeaten streak in Greeneville was coming to an end, the Mets got the help they needed in the final frame Sunday and won on the Astros’ home turf for the sixth straight time. The 6-4 victory also completed the Appalachian League series sweep. Greeneville scored three runs in the bottom of the eighth to take a 4-3 lead before its pitching fell apart in the final frame. K-Mets shortstop Gered Mochizuki singled to lead off the ninth, and Alonzo Harris and Richard Lucas drew walks to load the bases with one out. Jeff Flagg drew another base on balls to plate the tying run, R.J. Harris was hit by a pitch for the winning run, and Tyler Howe walked to give Kingsport (13-23) some insurance.
Jeff Francoeur widely has been credited with providing much-needed life to a downcast clubhouse mostly devoid of a spark through a trying first half for the Mets.
It certainly hasn't hurt that the Atlanta castoff also consistently has provided production on the field in the middle of an injury-depleted lineup that sorely needed a power infusion.
Few Mets did any damage in Sunday's flat 5-2 loss to Arizona veteran Jon Garland, but Francoeur homered and singled in three at-bats to maintain his RBI-per-game pace (19 in 19) since he was acquired from Atlanta on July 10.
"It definitely makes you feel comfortable to contribute, but we just want to win ballgames here," Francoeur said after the Mets' record slipped to 10-9 since he was obtained in the straight-up deal for Ryan Church last month. "It's been nice. It's been good to get out of Atlanta and get into a new place. But today was tough."

Lastings Milledge: I look at myself, definitely, as an energetic kind of guy. I’m a guy who kind of makes sure that everybody is OK, and makes sure…you know, sometimes pitchers get down on themselves, and sometimes hitters get down on themselves, and I’m the kind of guy who likes to listen to people and see how they feel and see what they’re thinking—stuff like that, because I like somebody to do the same for me. If I’m not feeling too good or something like that, I like to have somebody listen to me. So, I usually try to help people. Not to tell them that everything is going to be okay, but at the same time, that they’re good enough to be here. Sometimes you just need reassurance from somebody else.

No comments: