3/17/12

The Keepers - #22 - P - Tyler Pill


22.           Tyler Pill      RHP

      4-17-11 Interview:

Mack:  How’s the season going?

Pill:  I think that after the last weekend at LSU and that loss to A & M the team and the coaching staff didn't really know what hit us. Not the fact that we lost four in a row but at how bad we played. In my opinion we should have took 3 out of 4 of those games. Fridays game was a good team victory, we did everything we usually do. Our hitting, pitching, and defense were all solid. It was a great bounce back from the previous games. We got some confidence but we know there is still more work to do in becoming what we want to be.

4-18-11:
Pill:  As far as the game goes we played pretty well. It was a huge come from behind win. We just need to duplicate what we did in the ninth inning every time were up to bat. My season so far has been going pretty well. Our team is pretty strong defensively so all I have to do is make quality pitches and throw strikes and the defense and offense will take care of everything else. It's been a fun year so far and I look forward to the rest of the year with my team.


8-28-11: - #47 - SP Tyler Pill – Pill is another of the good college arms that was drafted this past June.Pill has been on the prospect sheets since his high school days, but all scouts had to put his name on hold in May 2010 when he injured his right elbow. He bounced right back and finished the 2010 season: 17-G, 15-St, 7-1, 2.28, 110-K, 98.2-IP. Pill led the team in innings pitched and there’s no reason for him to stay back in camp come April 1st. I’ve got him in Savannah – ETA:  TBD

9-29-11 Interview:

Mack:  Morning folks.  Today we are talking to the Mets 4th round selection in the 2011 draft, Cal State Fullerton RHP Tyler Pill. Hey Tyler... you and I haven't taked since, what, the loss to A and M?  How's pro life treating you?

Pill:   Yes that is correct. Pro life has been great so far, I'm meeting tons of new people both players and coaches. Pro life is a whole new experience than college and I like that because not only will it help me grow as a player but also as a person

Mack:  Okay, I have to ask you the same question I ask all you bonus babies. What's the first thing you bought when you cashed the check?

Pill:  Well to be honest I haven't gotten anything so far. Right now there's nothing I really want but I'm sure something will come up

Mack:  For the record, most buy a truck. Tyler, take us back to August 2nd and that first professional inning thrown for Brooklyn. Walk us throughit please.

Pill:   My first inning in Brooklyn was sweet. There were a ton of fans like always at that location and I was scheduled to throw one inning late in the game. I was really excited and pumped up like always when coming in late. The first batter hit a dribbler to me for an out, the second guy flew out to right I think, and then the third batter struck out

Mack:  Tyler, you came out of Covina High School in California and was drafted by the Colorado Rockies in the 38th round of the 2008 draft. Are you happy with your decision to play college ball instead of turning pro then?

Pill:  I am very happy to went to college. I think at that point I was too immature and didn't know as much about pitching as I should have. Going to college got me prepared for professional ball, helped me mature a lot more, and learn a ton about baseball whether it be the advanced things or just small things. College in my opinion got me to where I felt I needed to be before entering professional baseball

Mack:  Well, ya know what... we're happy you went to college too. :) I, for one, am thrilled you're a Met ,especially since you and I have "good history". You wasted little time impressing the pitching coach at CSF, going 11-3 as a freshman. We're your goals always to be a starting pitcher?

Pill:  Haha well, I'm glad you're happy I'm a Met because I am too. Yes my goals were always to be a starting pitcher. Being a starter means you control the game and that feeling is awesome. I love being able to go late in games and figure out hitters, its great. I was told once that every start is like putting together a puzzle, meaning that you have to see what hitters can’t hit, what's working for you that day, and so on. I've always liked that saying because its true, every start will be different and you have to figure things out as you go. So I have always loved starting and shutting down the other team for a whole game or if things get tough

Mack:  The reason I asked that question is, in 2010, you hit .354 in 55-G, with 7-HR and 42-RBI. You sure they're playing you at the right position?

Pill:  Ha ha,  that's true. I do love hitting but they figured my arm is more valuable. The good thing is that in AA I'll be able to hit again so I'll enjoy showing them what I can do with the stick.

Mike S.: -  Hey Tyler, this is Michael Scannell. I also write here at Mack's Mets.  I've got a question... do you read the common scouting reports on yourself and if so, do they affect the way you approach your training and preparation?

Pill:  Hey Michael. To be honest with you I dont. I have obviously heard some reports on me but I have never really thought to change anything because there are so many out there. I also think the best way to to approach your training and preparation is to just stay with your routine and remember what type of pitcher you are and what you are capable of because you're the one who knows yourself the most.

Mack:  Tyler, this is Mack.  I'm going to let you go with one last question. Do you have anything you want to say to your many fans here at Mack's Mets?

Pill:   Just that I want to thank you for interviewing me and that I'm very glad and thankful to have your support.

No comments: