6/1/12

8,020 UP and 8,020 DOWN...and A NO-NO AT LAST!!!

Just WOW!!! From Baxter's catch (they should change that sign to "Who but MIKE BAXTER) to Johan's battling all night, this was one HECK of an amazing game!!! I was telling a buddy earlier today that these are games that I hate- I never leave when Mets are batting, and when Johan pitches, I don't leave the computer, either! That makes things like eating dinner and going to the bathroom particularly vexing...not to mention ignoring the telephone, instant messages, texts, etc...

When Gary Cohen actually mentioned the "unmentionable" I wanted to slap him- and I LOVE Gary!!! When you've suffered for so long, you'll grasp at anything to keep from losing it, and anything can be a jinx...I didn't move from my position at the computer from the 3rd inning on, and BOY was I hungry!! Some things, though, you just get superstitious about, and NOTHING more than a No-No in progress...

When Murphy grabbed that ball to end the 8th, I thought my heart would jump out of my chest!!!!!! I hope the EMT's in Queens and all through the tri-state area had their paddles ready, because I am sure there were plenty of fans ready to explode!!!

I've witnessed 3 one-hitters in person, and my dad and grand-father saw Jim Bunning's Perfect Game vs. the Mets at Shea on Father's Day in 1964, so we've come close, but today everything looked like it was going our way, once and for all...

The hit that wasn't a hit but really was...

The hit-by-a-pitch that wasn't but really was...

Captain Kirk's "catch"...

Murphy's "catch"...

122 pitches after eight innings...

35 one-hitters...

50 years without one...

...UNTIL TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




5 comments:

Mack Ade said...

Amazin

Stephen Guilbert said...

Such a great moment and night.

LET'S GO METS!

Charles said...

Beautiful...just beautiful. I wouldn't even want to ruin it with any other words...

The Behaviorist said...

Just watched it for the third time... No joke, tears streamin' down my face in happiness, both for the Mets and for Johan, after all he's been through.

David Rubin said...

@Charles- perfectly said!!

@Mack- it sure was/is.

@Stephen - It was, indeed!

@Behaviorist- I totally agree. I watched replay on the computer and could barely hold it together!!