6/26/12

Draft 2013 Q and A - LHSP Jonah Wesely - Tracy HS (CA.)


Jonah Wesely  Ht: 6-2   Wt: 210   B/T: L/L  HS: Tracy   HS Grad: 2013  City: Tracy  State: CA

PG:  Jonah Wesely is a 2013 LHP with a 6-1 200 lb. frame from Tracy, CA who attends Tracy HS. Strong mature build, limited physical projection. Fast paced delivery, high 3/4's arm slot, has some deception. Steady upper 80's fastball, touched 90 mph, mostly straight. Flashes sharpness to curveball, needs to be more consistent with release point, some feel for change up. Mixes it up and tries to pitch to spots. Improving off speed pitches next step. Good arm. Good student, verbal commitment to UCLA.

.400, 37.0-IP, 0.95-ERA, .051-OBA, 79-K, 13-BB 

Mack - Hey, this is Mack Ade, waiting out the rain delay for the Kent State-SC game tonight and we're talking to the pride of Tracy, California, 2013 senior LHSP Jonah Wesely from Tracy, California. Evening, Jonah. I assume the Cal-weather is better than Omaha right now?

Jonah - Yea, it's about a 100 degrees and really dry here in the valley!

Mack – Jonah, I first want to make sure my info is accurate. You young-uns keep growing and throwing. I got you at 6-1, 200 with a 92-96 FB... update that for us and tell us what else you're throwing?

Jonah - 6'2 210 and I'm usually 90-94. But have peaked at 96.

Mack - Jonah, the pundits have you already projected out physically; however, I'm sure that's not true with your 2nd and

 3rd pitch... what's your "go to" pitch right now and how's the curveball coming around?

Jonah - My go to pitch is my curveball and my 3rd pitch is my change up. My curveball is more of a strikeout pitch then my change up but I think there both good projectable pitches

Mack - All right, so let's take a look at your last stat line:  37.0-IP, 0.95-ERA, .051-OBA, 79-K, 13-BB... .400 BA…  YOU COULDN'T DO BETTER THAN HIT .400???  :)

Jonah – Well,  I always pride myself on being a 2-way guy and being able to hit to contribute to the team. Stats always don’t necessarily matter, I just wanna win.
Observation - All of us want to win, but Jonah seems capable of accomplishing it. I got im somewhere from the 3rd-10th LHP in the 2013 draft, behind the 1-2 punch of fellow high schoolers Stephen Gonsalves and Zack Farmer.

No comments: