8/6/14

Does His Talking on the Mound- A Chat with Robert Gsellman

RHP Mets farmhand Robert Gsellman, now with the Savannah Sand Gnats, impressed fans at MCU park last year as an anchor of a good Brooklyn Cyclones rotation. (Photo credit: Kevin Pataky for MiLB.com).
If you follow the New York Mets, you will notice a contrast in personalities between otherwise remarkably similar pitchers. Matt Harvey thrives in the spotlight and the attention, has supermodel girlfriends and multi-page magazine spreads...and throws the ball in the high-90s and makes much of the National League look foolish. Zack Wheeler, conversely, is quiet, humble, tweets as much about his lifted truck as he does his pitching, loves video games...and throws the ball in the high-90s and makes much of the National League look foolish.

Baseball attracts diverse personalities--despite those personalities accomplishing many similar feats on the diamond.

Robert Gsellman emulates more of Zack Wheeler: He does his talking on the mound. Robert was nice enough to set aside a few minutes to chat with me late Friday after practice and from a mere ten minutes talking with him, I can confidently say he is a man of few words. His focus and attention to pitching is clear, as is his confidence.

Many times when asked about his pitching and goals for the end of the season, Robert responded succinctly with some variation of, "I just go out there and do my thing". At one point I ask him who is the toughest batter or best prospect he has faced and he said he does not know. I honestly believe that he has no idea when he is facing an Addison Russell vs. a less-heralded player. There is a batter at the plate and Gsellman is going to get him out. This simplistic approach often works very well for baseball players (see Josh Donaldson, Lucas Duda, John Jaso, or any of the number of baseball players who excelled once in a comfort zone). While Gsellman will have to pay closer attention to the opposition in years to come, I like the idea that he gets on the mound and plays catch with his catcher. Doing his thing.

His thing has gotten him a lot of excellent results this year, pitching to a 2.45 ERA with four complete games as a 21-year-old in low-A Savannah. He has allowed only two home runs, generated a ton of ground ball outs, and walked very few. If this sounds like a theme for the Mets system, you are on to something and can understand why the Mets drafted him in the 13th round in 2011. Focused, confident, follows his own playbook, and the biggest thing for him is going out there and pitching his game. Let's have a listen.
------

Stephen Guilbert: Hi Robert, thank you for taking the time to chat with me today. I think I have a handle on pronouncing your name but correct me if I'm wrong, Robert "Gazelle-Man". I have that right?

Robert Gsellman: Yea that's right. 

SG: And you go by Robert, Bob, or Rob?

RG: Robert.

SG: We'll start of easy. Can you tell me what you throw and what you've been working on?

RG: Just staying consistent and getting my pitches all over for strikes and keeping the ball down in the zone.

SG: Still working mostly fastball/changeup or are you incorporating anything else?

RG: Working on my curveball. Making sure it's in there and getting better.

SG: Is that the toughest for you to throw right now?

RG: A little bit but it's coming along. It's a lot better than last year.

SG: How has this year been different from last year? I know you hit three levels last year, got up to Savannah, but this year you've been able to stay in Savannah the whole year. Do you like the consistency? How has this year been different than last year?

RG: I guess being older and all and the rest of it. I've been getting better and it's cool being here. 

SG: Savannah's a great park and a nice pitcher's park. Have you enjoyed pitching there?

RG: Yea it's definitely a pitcher's park. It's big, so I like it. The ball stays in the park. 

SG: For sure. Statistically, though, it seems like you also do a real nice job keeping the ball on the ground. This is one thing guys like me struggle with and find a disconnect--largely minor league followers get to see a stat sheet and that's about it. So I can look at that sheet and say "this guy is a ground ball pitcher" but that might not be your game at all. Would you call yourself a ground ball pitcher or is that kind of the way it's gone so far?

RG: I have no idea. I guess that's just how it's gone so far. I just get up there and try to get the batter out. 

SG: I understand. You grew up in Southern California, yes?

RG: Correct. 

SG: Dodgers fan?

RG: Yea I guess. I grew up a Yankees fan. But the Dodgers were right there so I would always go watch them play. 

SG: Was there any player you grew up watching who was a favorite of yours or you modeled your game after?

RG: I don't really have one but I enjoy watching Verlander. 

SG: I was just reading about Verlander. The stuff is still there but he hasn't gotten the results this year so far. It's interesting. Tigers did just get David Price. Did you see that?

RG: Yea, that's…that's insane. 

SG: It really is. How much do you guys get to follow the deadline? Do you get to closely follow what happens or does it just come and go and you hear the big news? 

RG: Just comes and goes. Just go with the flow. 

SG: Gotcha. So you've been playing since you were a kid? 

RG: Yes. Grew up around it. 

SG: Play any other sports?

RG: I played basketball in high school and soccer until I got to high school. 

SG: When did it become clear that baseball was going to become your career?

RG: My sophomore year. I started to focus on that more. 

SG: Do Mets minor league pitchers still have to throw certain percentages of off-speed or breaking pitches?

RG: No, not that I know of. We just go out and pitch our game…pitch our strengths. 

SG: A few more random questions for you. Profile yourself as a hitter. You're going to be a National League guy. How would you describe yourself at the plate?

RG: In high school I was a good hitter. I like being at the plate, so it doesn't bother me. 

SG: Best hitting prospect you've faced as a pro. Anyone give you a headache?

RG: I have no idea. 

SG: No one stands out as an opponent who was really strong?

RG: Nah not really. 

SG: Changing gears a bit. I've always wondered this about guys like you who were drafted out of high school. You're age 17 or 18 and sent clear across the country into an organization that has strict curfews, uniforms, workout regimens, and adheres to a rigid hierarchy. If that were pitched to me, I'd think you were talking about the military. Can you tell me a bit about what it's like to go from the comfort zone in high school around family and friends.

RG: It's a bit different but I like seeing new things and meeting new people. I think it's fun, you know, getting away from home and learn new things and new lifestyles. 

SG: As far as lifestyle goes, do you live with teammates or have a host family down there?

RG: I have an apartment with teammates. 

SG: You got to pitch in Brooklyn last year. How was that?

RG: It was fun. A lot of fans, a good environment. Real fun. 

SG: Any innings limit set for you this year? 

RG: They haven't told me anything. 

SG: Do you think you'll get to the Florida State League this year?

RG: No idea. I'd like to, you know? But you gotta go with the flow. 

SG: Anything you want to tell fans to get to know you a bit better?

RG: (laughing) No, not really. 

SG: Got it. Thank you so much for the time, Robert. Best of luck to you and take care.

RG: Alright sir, thank you for your time. 

----------

A thank you to Vincent Caffiero of the Savannah Sand Gnats for setting up the interview.

If you want a fan question for the next interview, tweet it at me (@StephenJosiah13) or email Mack (macksmets@gmail.com)

2 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

Gazelle-man has an impressive set of cool. It should help him rise to the top. Nice interview Steve.

Stephen Guilbert said...

Thanks, Thomas. It's funny…I've done three interviews with Met prospects this year. Gant and Gsellman are very quiet guys who didn't give me much to work with. Luis Guillorme was quite responsive and animated and was a fascinating and fun interview. That view count is near 1,000. Gant and Gsellman struggled to get over 100. I don't find that coincidental. Still, happy to chat with all of them.