8/31/14

NEW MET - RHP - Mike Gibbons

New York Mets   

Signed: 
RHP Mike Gibbons (NDFA—Wheaton (Mass.))



Wheaton College rising senior and right-handed pitcher Mike Gibbons (Simsbury, Conn./Avon Old Farms) has signed a free agent contract with the New York Mets of Major League Baseball (MLB) for the 2015 season.
"It's difficult to find the words to match the current emotions that I am feeling from signing with the New York Mets. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and something I have always dreamed about. I am ecstatic to be able to represent Wheaton College and Wheaton's baseball program at the professional level," said Gibbons. "Coach [Eric] Podbelski and coach [Ryan] Parker have helped mold me into becoming the pitcher that I am today, and I am grateful to have played under them for three years at Wheaton. My family has given me the love and support to achieve my goals, and the ability to attend a college with superb academics and athletics."
Last season, Gibbons appeared in 12 games (nine starts) and posted a 4-1 record with a 1.89 earned run average (ERA) alongside 37 strikeouts in 57 innings pitched. Gibbons also held opponents to a .203 batting average and induced an 11.84 groundouts per game ratio. Overall in his Wheaton career, Gibbons compiled a 9-3 record for the Lyons and a 2.63 ERA through 106 innings of work

3 comments:

Ernest Dove said...

Looks like another college relief pitcher to take the place of the current college arms currently helping Brooklyn to playoffs this year.

Anonymous said...

While other teams sign Cuban stars the mets sign College retreads

Anonymous said...

How can he be a retread?