6/18/09

The Future Of: Step 5 - RF, C, SP




The Future Of… Step Four: RF, C, SP


So, we end day-3 and we’ve got only 3 more players to add to our 25-man, we’re short a catcher, outfielder and starting pitcher, and we’ve got $34,000,000 to spend in the contract year of 2010 to build our new team with the same payroll as 2009.

Yes, I know, the team could use a big time first baseman and, finally, a young, dynamic second baseman, but, on “my team”, I will deal with that in year-two of my two-year plan and all the money I have saved will go to find a full time catcher, right fielder, and an SP2.
SP2:


In my book, we can live without another outfielder, but I can’t live without pitching.


I will use Eric Bedard as an example of the kind of quality pitcher I will go after in free agency. I’m sure some of you have another choice of pitcher, but I’m just going to go after, and hypothetically sign this guy. Remember, we’re not trading for anyone here, so I can’t sign guys like Jake Peavey. I don’t believe the current Mets are strong enough, prospect wise, to package a deal for someone like Peavey. Other teams simply can offer much better.


Okay, my pick is Bedard… will be 30-years old in 2010… lifetime 46-38, 3.81… he’s mine.
Bedard signed a 7.7mil 1-year deal with Seattle.

Tell ya what… I’ll double it.


I’m sure it will take a multi-year deal, but that doesn’t bother me for a quality picher. I’ll pay him $15,000,000 a year for whatever amount of years e work out

.
Done deal.


I’m now at 23 players on my 25-man, and I’ve still got $19,000,000 left.


OF:


This one is simple.


Vladimir Guerrero… 35 next year… 393 HRs… (27 in 2009 as of today)… making 15mil in 2008… at hi age, and in this economy, he’ll be thrilled to make the same for three more years…
I’m now at 24 players, short a catcher, and the checking account is zero, which means, the only increase in operation for 2010 over 2009 will be the cost of someone behind the plate.
Hell, I can raise the cost of parking by a buck and pay for that.


C:


I might as well go to hell with myself and go get Victor Martinez… 30 years old in 2010… 7-year is majors… lifetime .298 hitter with 88 HRs, 451 RBIs… made 5.7mil in 2090, scheduled for 7mil in 2010 or a club option to buy it out at 250K… I’ll make the decision early for the Indians… I’ll throw in a couple of low level prospects, pay the option, and offer Martinez a multi-year deal starting at 9mil for 2010.

So, I’m done and I have spent $9,250,000 more in 2010 than 2009. Technically, due to payouts to Perez and Castillo, my salaries are actually lower, but in real money, it’s just nine and change.
And what does my team look like?

1B: Fernando Tatis Daniel Murphy
2B Alex Cora Javier Castillo
SS Jose Reyes
3B Daivd Wright
OF Carlos Beltran Fernando Martinez Vladimir Guerrero Nick Evans
C Omir Santos Victor Martinez
SP Johan Santana Mike Pelfrey Erik Bedard John Maine Jon Niese
RP Francisco Martinez Bobby Parnell Jose Feliciano Brian Stokes Eddie Kunz
Roy Merritt Tobi Stoner Adam Bostick

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is no way victor martinez gets traded to the mets for a few low level prospects. The indians were asking for the top red sox prospects for him bucholz + some for him. The mets would probably have to give up Fmart and Mieja or Holt plus some. Good hitting catchers don't grow on trees. Get a stopgap for a year and wait for thole to develop into the mets starting catcher.

Paying 15 mil for both Vlad and Bedard is insane. They are both injured regularly and Vlad is old and better suited for the AL where he can DH to give him rest.

Also according to cots baseball contracts the Mets are not paying wily Mo pena 5 mil he is on a minor league contract and the nats are paying 2 mil.

Mack Ade said...

Hey, I'm the GM and it's my team! :)

First of all, I didn't say I would trade for Martinez. He's a free agent next year and I would sign him that way.

The names I used in free agency were just examples, and paying Vlad and Bedrad 15mil each is insane.

That's the point I was trying to make... if the Mets clear out the non-productive players on their rosters, there are plenty of great players out there to sign.

Mack