7/8/09

Selling Of The Mets - Part 2




First of all, thanks for all of you visiting the site today and commenting on my idea about playing for next year, now.


A special thanks go out to Matt Cerrone at http://www.metsblog.com/ for linking my column and giving me the opportunity to communicate with his excellent and intelligent following.


I thought I'd elaborate my thoughts by commenting on some of your comments this morning:


Timothy said: "failing to acknowledge that when six of your top eight or nine players are on the DL, yu simply can't win..."


-you are right, Timothy. No team can survive that because no team has six to eight or nine other top stars waiting in the wings... 2009 is a lost season(please Mets, prove me wrong) and they, and we, must deal with it in a respectful manner. This includes making the orgaizational changes needed to build a new template for this team


Anonymous said: You can certainly trade Sheffield to a contender, or does that violate the agreement with the Tigers?


-you, also, are right. Sheffield would probably get at least one AA-prospect from a team that needs a bat during their pennant race. Normally, you would say that a player would then favor remaining with that team on a new contract, but I don't think that can be said for him


one thing worth pointing out right now... my trading of established players for mid-range prospects is only designed to replenish the Mets farm system with some more decent players that have a future in baseball. As I pointed out in previous posts, I don't believe there will be a major trade this year, but I have pointed out how the Mets can clear $40mil+ in salary in the off-season and not hurt the core of the team.


that kind of money, or a portion of it if the Mets choose to economize, can easily get the team at least two established players to fill the holes at 1B, C, SP2, and RF.


Frankie5 said: Well done...


thanks Frankie.


DJefferies said: I'm not sure I'd pay Citi Field prices to watch the Buffalo Bisons play.


trust me, Frankie... you wouldn't pay bupkis to see the real Herd play...


I agree with your logic, but that's the Wilpon's and Omar's problem. They built this mash unit and it simply hasn't panned out for.... THREE YEARS...


If you and your fellow fans would stay home, regardless if one player is changed, trust me again... things would quickly change personnel wise, both in the dugout and the front office.


Anonymous v2.0 said: one thing I would do is push hard for prospects for Church


Actually I agree, but I was running out of players to keep in the dugout... my plan, written earlier this month has Church not being invited back next year... I don't expect the Mets to trade Martinez, and Beltran will be healthy by next spring. The RF posiiton can be obtained with the money saved in the off-season



Scott from Peekskill said: "Fire Manuel"...


This I agree with also, but in the world of business (and baseball is definitely a business), Omar Minaya and his template must be removed first. The Mets need a new General Manager to approach the future in a different direction than they have gone in the past three unsuccessfull years.


Let the new General Manager evaluate whether the field manager should be replaced.


Anonymous v.3.0 said: only problem I have is calling up guys like Davis and Thole...


Yeah, these kids should play every day, but, my plan doesn't make any sense if the team doesn't get 6-8 mid-range prospects to help build the future. If you don't do this now, you're going to release most of these guys anyway at the end of the season... and 1st round compensation picks would be 4-5 years away... also, I know guys like Thole and he's love the opportunity to go to Queens in any role.


Brenden said: I do not understand how you can suggest trading Schneider and Hernandez for scraps and just cutting Sean Green


You're right about Green.. let's trade him also for a prospect.


Regarding "scraps", prospects in AA are not scraps. Most ball players that go from rookie ball, to A, to A+, and then AA... and maintain their skills level... wind up playing every day in the majors. It's the youngins' in rookie ball to A+, who we brag on, that fall to the wayside because they can't keep up against increased talent.


Schneider, Hernandez, and Green have no future as a Met, and they aren't talented enough to get the Mets the players needs for this season. We're not cutting fish here... trade them for someone to replace guys like Jonathan Niese, Roy Merritt, and Eddie Kunz who will make the jump anyway to Queens next year, regardless whether you follow my plan.


Sam said: "you gotta be kidding about Davis..."


fine, I'll give youz guyz that one...


keep Tatis aroun to play around 45 positions until you release him in the off season.


Mack




No comments: