3/5/12

The Keepers - #9 - SS - Phillip Evans

9.        SS      Phillip Evans

8-15-11: - Just love this signing. Evans went into draft day as a solid non-signee and every team avoided him. I had him as the 4th top shortstop in the draft. Scouts project him as a second baseman, but he also can catch.

 7-8-11: - At the just completed  18u WWBA National Championship… SS Phillip Evans (2011 La Costa Canyon HS, Carlsbad, CA) earned tournament MVP honors after going 9-for-22 (.409/.458/.500) with 7 RBIs and 3 SBs .

9-24-11 Interview: -

Mack:    Morning, folks.  We're talking this morning to the 2011 15th round draft pick out of La Costa Canyon (Ca.) High School.  Welcome Phillip and what a pleasure it is to have you a part of the New York Mets.

Phillip: Thanks Mack, I'm glad to have been given the chance to be a part of the New York Mets organization.

Mack:   Okay, I have to ask you the same question I ask all you bonus babies.  What's the first thing you bought when you cashed the check?

Phillip:   I actually haven't gotten my bonus check yet but I'm sure I will buy some nice things for my family once I get it.

Mack:  Phillip (is it Phil, or Phillip?), just for the record, 80% say the first thing bought is a new truck.  You sent all the signs out that you were not going to sign so being drafted late was, I'm sure, not exciting as it could be... but, take us to that day and tell us what it what it was like hearing your name come over the internet site.

Phillip:  I like Phillip but if somebody calls me Phil that's fine with me. I just want to give back to my family since they gave me the opportunity to play ball since I was 4 years old, I'm sure I will buy myself something nicer than a truck eventually ha ha. It was still just as exciting for me hearing my name called as I was given the chance to play pro ball for a great organization

Mack:  So, let's get to the next great moment and that would be your first professional at bat. Was your family there and how did that moment go?

Phillip:  My family was not there but I just treated it like any other at bat saw a lot of pitches and walked.

Mack:  Okay...  Phillip, I have been tracking you for a couple of years now and had you as the 3rd top middle infielder in the draft.   There has been some scouts that project you as a future second baseman.  I'm sure you would say you would play any position it takes to get to the majors, but I'm just curious, other than shortstop, what positions have you played, and played well?

Phillip:  Yeah, I'm pretty sure anybody would play any position to get to the big leagues but I can play anywhere on the field well so wherever they end up putting me I'll play that position hard day in and day out.

Mack:  Last question, Phillip.  First of all I want to thank you for spending some time here with me.   I wanted to see if there is anything you want to say to your fans that read Mack's Mets...

Phillip:  Anytime. Thanks for having me Mack.  I would like to thank all the fans out there and keep supporting throughout the years and hopefully all the hard work I'm putting in will give me an opportunity in the big leagues one day.

1 comment:

Jeremiah Alley said...

I too was a huge supporter of the Mets drafting Evans. The scouting reports on him before and after the draft seemed to think that he would have eventually been a 1st or 2nd round pick a year or two from now. I am excited to see how he develops under the watchful eye of a Sandy Alderson minor league system. This is a kid that reminds me a lot of Craig Biggio, scrappy, with some power at the dish. Definitely a prospect to keep an eye on this year.