3/12/12

Michael Scannell - Random Thoughts

By - Michael Scannell


Dare I say it? The Mets' biggest perceived weakness this year is supposed to be their pitching...With Dickey, a healthy Santana, and an improving Niese, the Mets could have 3 good-to-very good starters. Add in Dillon Gee as a steady #5 and Pelfrey would be the only drag. That's something that might be remedied with a mid-season promotion of Harvey or Familia. Maybe it's my relative youth talking, but I think there are reasons to have optimism this year. 2013 should be a turning of the corner and 2014 should be the return to relevance, but this 2012 team could surprise some people.

Jordany Valdespin has so far impressed in camp with his athleticism. On the downside, his miscues at 2B have left people wondering if he truly has a place on a future Mets contender. Additionally, his attitude apparently leaves a lot to be desired. In my opinion, he'll likely wind up as part of a trade package next offseason for an established MLB pitcher, a move that would be a no-brainer if Reese Havens could stay healthy (more on this later). Instead of dealing with him as an enigma, I wonder if now is the time to consider moving him to the OF? He seems to have the skill set to make the move to a corner spot (unlike Murphy and Duda) and could provide the Mets with another internal OF possibility and one that has the skills to leadoff.

Reese Havens unfortunately keeps disappointing. His overall AA numbers (.301/.379/.505/.884) and especially his performance in the 2nd half of last year have me believing in his hitting ability, but he has to stay healthy. I was hoping he'd have a hot ST, begin the year at Buffalo, and make his way to NY by July. Now, it looks like he's heading for Shawn Bowman-territory. I still have him as the presumptive 2013+ 2B, but he has to show up.

I'm really glad to see Kirk Nieuwenhuis making an impression in ST. After all of the talk of him being no more than a 4th OF, I still think he can provide above-average defense and 20-20 numbers from a corner OF spot. If he can stay in CF (which is becoming more and more likely) he'll cement himself as an important part of the team's future. As far as this year, I don't think he has much to prove in AAA after his work there last year, he only has to prove his shoulder is healthy - something that is also looking good.

I hate to feel joy at someone else's pain, but I couldn't help but have a positive reaction to Victor Roache's injury. After his dominating power numbers last year, I was hoping the Mets would target him in June's draft. Just when it was looking like he was going to rocket up to a top 5 pick and out of range for the organization, his draft position is in doubt and he'll likely slide down and be there when #12 comes up in the draft. If I were the Mets, I'd happily use the pick on him. Wrist injuries are almost never career-killers and the Mets would likely have themselves a steal. Roache is a hitter I could see being ready for an MLB promotion 2 years after being drafted a la Ike Davis in 2010.

Am I the only one who really likes the team's ST uniforms? I feel like I'm watching my team again - I never took to the black uniforms or black shadowing and I can't wait for it to be phased out completely. As the team begins its ascension back to being one of the marquee franchises in MLB like the Yanks, BoSox, and now Phils, they need to look the part of a winner as well. It's difficult to take them seriously when they trot out onto the field with a cartoonish and gimmicky look.

1 comment:

Mack Ade said...

Right now, everyone is holding their breath on Wright.

Turner would replace him.

The Captain had a chance of going to Queens but that was before the injury.

Jordy will play Buffalo at 2B.