So lets take a look at some of the better moments in Mets history including a few from the current regime then go back a ways in Mets history:
Marlon Byrd and John Buck to the Pirates in August for their pennant run. They brought back Vic Black and Dilson Herrera. Considering both players left the Pirates at the end of that season and the Mets are just beginning to enjoy the fruits of their bounty for years to come, this one is a no brainer for this list.
R.A. Dickey and knuckleball wrangling catcher Josh Thole to the Toronto Blue Jays for uber prospects Noah Syndergaard, Travis d’Arnaud and wildcard young outfielder Wuilmer Becerra. Dickey has not been anywhere near Cy Young caliber in Ontario. His two years for Toronto have produced a 28 and 26 record with a mediocre 3.97 ERA. One of the trio receive established himself as a force with the bat upon his return from Las Vegas last year. Syndergaard is the most often requested name in trade talks with the Mets and Becerra finished his age 19 season by batting .300 for the Kingsport Mets.
There was also the salary dump of playoff goat Carlos Beltran for pitching stud prospect Zack Wheeler. That one is a little more balanced as Beltran is still a productive player though, like Byrd and Beltran, did very little for his new club on the Bay for a month or so of play. Wheeler looks to be developing into a very solid middle of the rotation pitcher.
You Must Give to Get Category:
- Hubie Brooks, Mike Fitzgerald, Floyd Youmans and Herm Winningham to the Expos for Gary Carter
- Preston Wilson, Geoff Goetz and Ed Yarnall to the Marlins for Mike Piazza
- Carlos Gomez, Phillip Humber, Kevin Mulvey and Delois Guerra to9 the Twins for Johan Santana
- Rick Aguilera, David West, Kevin Tapani, Tim Drummond and Jack Savage for Frank Viola
- A.J.Burnett, Robert Stratton and Jesus Sanchez to the Marlins for Al Leiter and Ralph Milliard
- Lee Mazzilli to the Rangers for Ron Darling and Walt Terrell
- Walt Terrell to the Detroit Tigers for Howard Johnson
- Shawn Estes to the Reds for perpetual Pedro Felician, Raul Gonzalez, Brady Clark and Elvin Andujar
- John Christensen, Wes Gardner, Calvin Schiraldi and LaSchelle Tarver to the Red Sox for Bobby Ojeda, Chris Bayer, Tom McCarthy and John Mitchell
- Grant Psomas, Mike Jacobs and Yusmeiro Petit to the Marlins for Carlos Delgado
- Neil Allen and Rick Ownbey for Keith Hernandez
Highway Robbery Category:
- Pitcher Bill Denehy to the Washington Senators for the rights to manager Gil Hodges
- Pitcher Tom Parsons to the Houston Astros for catcher Jerry Grote
- Ed Hearn, Mauro Gozzo and Rick Anderson to the Kansas City Royals for David Cone and Chris Jelic
- Robert Person to the Toronto Blue Jays for John Olerud
- Bob Bailor and Carlos Diaz to the Dodgers for Sid Fernandez