3/10/24

MACK - Sunday Morning Observations

 


---- First, a general statement.

I have 183 current or ex-Mets players follow me on either Facebook or the X formerly known as Prince. This tells me that many read this site.

I may be one of the only Mets bloggers that keep in touch with the players that have put their Mets uniforms into a box in the garage or hung one in a frame in their man cave.

I've watched these teenagers blossom into men that have gone on to go back and graduate college, get married, raise a family, and become successful at the job they have chosen.

I don't want to go all James Earl Jones here, but BASEBALL is what created theses success stories.

Not on the field... but in something much more precious...

Life.


The Mets have  announced they are forming a new dance team which they will call:

The Queens Crew

Don't go there...


One of the many things I am foggy about these days is the way Zack Wheeler departed the Mets. Confused whose fault it was.

Doesn't matter. Loved him when he came from the left coast and thrilled he's getting paid at this level by a division rival. Means less money for other Philly players.


Mets released a couple of minor league pitchers.

RHP Brawny Reyes (STL - 9.00- ERA) and RHP Jose Gomez (STL - 13.50-ERA) were both sent packing.

Yes, they weren't that successful as a PRO baseball player, but still hats off to two guys that defied the odds that over a million young men dream of every year... putting on a pro uniform.


Ya know... it's now post Super Tuesday game with the Yanks.

At home. Mostly the projected starting lineup. Collectively four hits from those projected starters.

People keep telling me that it's too early. I have a question to you... teams play each other, one loses and one wins. Is it also too early for the teams that currently have the highest winning percentage?  Should their fans worry about their output too ?


And then there is Tylor Megill.

Tuesday. 3 innings. 6 strikeouts. No hits allowed.

Spring ERA... 1.13

K/9 ...   14.6

We don't need no steeenkin Senga!


I had a conversation with someone about whether or not writers on blogs should be critical of minor leaguers that peak below the level of reaching the majors.

I'm pretty adamant about this.

I go out of my way to... limit what I say to the things they have done to produce positive results... or offer constructive criticism that might help them achieve their future goals.

It's so easy to be negative or cruel, or downright hurtful.  I don't believe that's the way to go.

Example.

I hated when the Mets used their first round pick on someone who didn't play high school baseball and I wrote negatively about it. 

Not the player since I had him projected being picked in the Round One Supplement Round...

No, the fact that a first round pick is too precious to take that much of a chance.

Result?

To this day, Brandon Nimmo will have nothing to do with me.

So, I go out of my way to try to help these guys, especially since they read us so much.

An old Mets manager that used to be a great Mets player on a Mets championship team reminded me once while he charged at me in the clubhouse with something in his hand I wrote negative about one of his players...

"Mack. Never assume what you write doesn't leave an impact. "


















16 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

Good article, Mack. I can sometimes get a little hard on some guys because I want them to do better, in an “Officer and a Gentleman” kind of way. Get their attention, as if no coaches are telling them what to do. Not knowing if the “advice” would be useful. But badly wanting them to succeed and achieve their true potential.

Having read your article, I will be shifting more back to saying things in a more consistently encouraging way, which is how I started out with MM.

Brandon, as one Christian brother to another, I ask you to forgive Mack for that and give him another chance. Bless you, brother.

On another topic, I am disappointed that the Mets website doesn’t show yesterday’s William a Lugo HR. THAT must have been a thrilling moment. I would have liked to see it.

Mack Ade said...

For the record, I wasn't calling you out here. Just a general observation about all the writers, including me.

Mack Ade said...

Re: Lugo

Did he hit that in a back field game?

Mack Ade said...

As for the 2024 team...

Don't forget to turn your clocks ahead this morning

That will be one less hour before the Braves eliminate the Mets from the playoff

(Wow. Can't believe I went here on the Sabbath)

Tom Brennan said...

The Lugo HR was in the real game, a 9th inning HR.

SIMON JUAN? 2 for 2, 2 RBIs, also in the real game. The dawn of a new day for Juan, who is still 18 for 4 months?

Mack Ade said...

Good chance Juan opens up with Lucy

Tom Brennan said...

Mack, I hope so. The FCL league starts later, so it would be good to see him get in a full season starting with the St Lucie Mets.

Tom Brennan said...

Choi looks like a 40 pounds lighter version of Vogelbach. Choi scored from 2nd on Baty’s bloop single to left and got up a good head of steam, much faster than Vogie. Choi seems similar stats wise to Lucas Duda.

bill metsiac said...

To answer Mack's question, Wheeler left the Mets as a FA when he wasn't given the multi-year deal he wanted. Brodie VW made a snide comment about him being a "good half-season pitcher" because his numbers after the ASG in his Mets years were not good.

Now I have a question about another ex-Met whose career has gone South. I'm not looking to bring him back, since our pen is overflowing with better talent, but does anyone know if Jeuris Familia is still pitching, has retired, or is looking for a job? I liked him as a Met, and hope he can still pitch for some ML (or MnL) team somewhere.

Mack Ade said...

Good question

I will ask him and report what I find out

bill metsiac said...

Reese must've inspired him. After he posted that Choi was hitting .182, Ji jumped to .357. At least his BA is higher than his weight.

Barring injuries elsewhere on the team, I still don't see a spot for him in Queens on OD. I expect him to be upstate or, more likely, he opts out and looks elsewhere.

bill metsiac said...

Thanks.

Gary Seagren said...

Great stuff as always Mack and totally agree on your philosophy as I'm a "if you can't say something nice don't say it" kind of guy but of course constructive criticism can be helpful and how you put is important. About BVW's decision on Wheeler I'm sure it was more about not spending the money than him making the final call. Ah the Wilpon error rears it's ugly head again.

Rds 900. said...

It still irks me to read negative reviews about Ramirez and Parada after falling short of expectations last year. Look for both to improve this year.

Mack Ade said...

I have no problem with any writers saying THEY THINK someone won't get there

But I do have a problem with any writer that says a young man who is busting their ass and is 100x more talented that anyone else playing the same position somewhere saying that kid sucks

Mack Ade said...

No answer back from Family