3/2/24

Tom Brennan - A Must to Avoid

HERMAN’S HERMITS ONCE DID A BASEBALL SONG (NOT REALLY) 

NAMED “A MUST TO AVOID” 

There are players the Mets use that I could hear Herman singing about.

“That one? He’s a must to avoid.”

In 2021, the Mets used Albert Almora, Khalil Lee, Cameron Maybin, Chance Sisco, Wilfredo Tovar, and Jake Hager. 

They all formed a pact that they would hit with their eyes closed in 2021.

The experiment failed.

Combined, they went 12 for 126. Doing the math, that worked out to .095.

Any players in 2024 that decide they want to join the “pact of hitting with eyes closed” are a must to avoid. 

Because if you play hitters like that, securing a playoff spot is “a complete impossibility”, Herman reminded me.

Thank you for your time. And please remember one thing. 

Never avoid Macks Mets articles. You just might learn something.

LOST 3-2 ON FRIDAY

Pitching great again, except for Blade Tidwell, who gave up all 3 runs on 4 hits (2 of them a bunt and a bloop) in 1 2/3 innings, but he walked none and fanned 4, to which i say, “nice”.  He broke the ice with his first MLB competition, now that he got through it, go ahead and be Nolan Ryan.

Mark Vientos opposite field Jack. Boom. Brett may be beginning to fret.

Gervase not sharp again. Not terrible…but not sharp. Nerves?

Severino fanned a guy…video said “98”. Start smiling. I just did.

And smile some more… Marte looked like Clemente, catching a fly near the right field line and throwing a hard strike to Vientos at 3rd on the fly to cut down the runner trying to advance to third on the tag up, BY A COUNTRY MILE, for the double play. Marte was also 1 for 2.

Diekman is blown away watching Edwin in bullpen sessions “elite slider, elite FB.” Bring the Trumpet guy back - let’s DO THIS.

SOTO

Sensational start…first 8 plate appearances, 2 HR, 2 doubles, 2+walks.

I think he will love Yankee Stadium, and my guess is the Mets will have to pay him $100 million more than the Yankees on Soto’s long term deal to get him. He’ll be 26 next year, and SUPER ELITE offensively.


16 comments:

Mack Ade said...

I know of only one great baseball player named Herman

Mack Ade said...

My comments about Friday's game will be in my Sunday morning article

Mack Ade said...

And thank you Yanks for moving him to NYC and paying the money for his new digs

Rds 900. said...

Yes, I remember Babe.

Tom Brennan said...

I’d love to see Herman hit against Edwin. My guess is Herman never saw anything quite like Edwin.

Or Herman against Koufax.

I think Ruth’s .342/.474/.690 in this era of fireballer and pen aces would have been .282/.394/.550 over his long career.. About equal to Soto.

Tom Brennan said...

Brett Baty, however, could never shine Babe’s shoes.

Paul Articulates said...

Blade had a pretty good outing for his first time out. He did what he always seems to do - have a little lapse, let the bases get full, then reaches down deep and strikes the next guy out. That ability to get guys out when in trouble is really important. The mental lapses can be fixed (I think). One day he will be a great late inning guy for us.

Mack Ade said...

Paul

It seemedto me that Tidwell had a don't give a shot attitude when he opened up his first inning

Or he was scared shitless

Either way, in my opinion, full of shot

Tom Brennan said...

You know who used to pitch like Tidwell, and people gave up too soon on? Nolan Ryan. I wonder how many times, as a Met, he loaded the bases on walks and struck out the side in the same inning.

Tidwell needs a few more outings to chill - getting calm against real hitters helps get real hitters out.

Tom Brennan said...

Ray, did Babe ever say to you, "come here kid, I want to give you an autograph?" Or, Ray, maybe you mean this Babe:

Werner Birrer was the last major league player to carry the nickname of "Babe."

"In a four-inning relief stint as a rookie pitcher for the Detroit Tigers on July 19, 1955, he hit a pair of three-run homers in two times at the plate." (WOW)

"Thus the nickname "Babe." Ironically, they were the only home runs and runs batted in for his major league career which ended with the Los Angeles Dodgers in 1958."

Tom Brennan said...

I asked Herman of Herman's Hermits if the Mets should trade for another starter behind their current 7th starter. He suggested Tommy Henry of the D Backs. 8-8, 4.57 career.

He could join the Mets and at his intro presser, say "I'm Henry the 8th, I am. Henry the 8th, I am, I am, Henry the 8th I am."

Well, I thought it was funny, anyway.

D J said...

Tom,
This is totally off the Mets subject, but I rode the bus to Memphis, Tennessee in 1965-66 to see Herman's Hermits at the Memphis Coliseum. The opening act was Wayne Fontana and the Mind Benders. Wasn't exactly the Stones, but at the time not a bad show. Long time ago!

Mack Ade said...

THAT mind bending

Tom Brennan said...

I really liked Herman’s Hermits in the 60s. Lighthearted, fun group, in a simpler time.

bill metsiac said...

I've got ya beat there, Mack. I know TWO. And both were "Babes".

bill metsiac said...

They all had a crush on Mrs. Brown's lovely daughter. I never learned who she picked, though.