3/5/24

Tom Brennan “DJ Stewart or Trayce Thompson?”


One candidate’s name is very similar to this fella’s name




CONSIDER ALL AVAILABLE CHOICES

So, the Mets need a 5th outfielder. (Who doesn’t, right? I told my wife just the other day, “Honey, I’m running down to Home Depot to pick up that 5th outfielder we need? While I’m there, should I pick up a rake?”)

Anyway…Stewart or Thompson?

May I suggest … neither?

What about Ben Gamel instead?

a) Career .252, 40 HRs, 200 RBIs. Career .252/.332/.384. 

b) In a half year in 2023 in AAA, a robust .286/.402/.498 slash, just 3 errors.

c) He got squeezed to 3 for 15 in limited San Diego MLB time in 2023.

c) This spring, 3 for 11, double, walk, steal.

Would you take that from a 5th outfielder? 

Sometimes we haven’t, as Mets fans, gotten that from a FIRST outfielder.

Tyrone Taylor is our definite 4th outfielder, just to be clear, and hits righty. Solid hitter, good speed, excellent fielder. And every team needs a guy named Tyrone.

Gamel has some quickness, and hits lefty. He is 31, so he is still in his prime years. He hits both lefties and righties about the same.

Sounds like a perfect # 5 OF to me.

DJ has more power, but is slower and more shaky in the outfield. 

I think DJ has no lock on the spot, not with Gamel around.

But…what do I know? I’m just a humble opinion writer. 

Much importantly, what do YOU, the Mack’s Mets reader genius, think?

Me? I’m leaning towards Gamel, because it would be cool in 2024 to team him up with Hamel and then go out and smoke a Camel.

Nimmo said, I’d walk a mile for a Gamel. So would I. 

13 comments:

Mack Ade said...

I always vote for defensive guys to be utility player

Plus, in a pinch, isn't McNeil the next guy in?

Tom Brennan said...

Mack, you would hope so. Hard to believe McNeil not in outfield.

Defensively, Gamel > Stewart.

TexasGusCC said...

I said Thompson over Stewart last week because I factored in Thompson’s ability to play CF. Gamel? Ehhhhh…. I did consider the McNeil angle in the outfield last week thus keeping Zack Short or Inglesias, but don’t think much of either. Well, I officially don’t know yet. Right now, I still prefer Thompson, but if it comes to a lefty, I would take Stewart over Gamel because on the bench you want the guy that can hit a late homerun, possibly, and Stewart is the better option.

Tom Brennan said...

Gus, Trayce Thompson has had a few inspiring at bats, but I look at his career stats and what jumps out at me is “Keon Braxton”. Fans a ton (33% of his PAs.

And Trayce is 33 in a few days.

Could be wrong, but to me, he is Aging Keon. His and Keon’s career stats are incredibly similar.

He is also a righty hitter who, against lefties in his career, is a horrific .192/.277/.387.

I gotta pass on him.

Tom Brennan said...

Gus, I’d go one step more radical here. I’d rather have Rhylan Thomas than Trayce Thompson in my outfield this year. No power, but he can field great, run like a deer, and fanned just once every 16 times up at his two highest levels in Binghamton and Brooklyn last year, while hitting .345 at those two levels in 2024. And Rhylan hit like that after just 200 career plate appearances at lower pro levels.

Of course, thomas won’t be on the Mets on opening day. They want to give them more development time. But, if they had to choose between those two players, as a fifth outfielder, if they had no other choice, I’d go with thomas.

Rds 900. said...

Like to see more of Rylan.

TexasGusCC said...

Tom, I initially thought of Rhylan also. But I don’t want to stunt a young players growth. Did you see how he is number 30 on MLB’s Mets pipeline that came out yesterday? Right now I’m not sure which way to go with that last spot.

Paul Articulates said...

The idea of a speedy, defensive oriented player for a fifth outfielder works on many teams but not the Mets. We have a speedy outfield full of defensive standouts that you would not replace in the late innings to save a run. Nimmo, Bader, Marte - keep 'em in the game. The "fifth outfielder" should be a bat. Who has the best bat between Thompson, Stewart, and Gamel? I would argue that DJ Stewart proved last year that he could hit and hit with power last season. Thompson has been the best of the bunch in early spring, but is that enough?

bill metsiac said...

I NEVER want to see a young player, especially one with promising upside, relegated to the end of the ML bench, instead of playing every day at AA/AAA. Leave Rhylan alone until he's ready to fill a productive ML role.

Tom Brennan said...

Bill, I agree. Remember back to the junky outfield of 2013 would have made that a real question…Rhylan, or Colin Cowgirl or Mike Baxter. Give me Rhylan.

But he needs probably a year to assert himself. Remember, at the same age, Rhylan had a substantially better slash line in 2023 as did minor leaguer Jeff McNeil.

Tom Brennan said...

Gus, yep, # 30. Two years ago, with lesser team prospects, he’d probably be # 20. #30 this year is an accomplishment.

Tom Brennan said...

Paul, we’ll see who is #5 by end of spring. I just hope it’s not Thompson. I honestly look at his numbers and all I see is Keon Braxton. We lived through that once. We need players that can help the team.

Tom Brennan said...

At the other end of the spectrum, Josh Donaldson retired today. He was grossly overpaid in his last 2 playing years at ages 36 and 37.

Even excellent players get "baseball-old". So will Pete Alonso. Remember when contract time comes.

Make a movie. Not "No Country for Old Men." Rather, "No Game for Old Ballplayers". Unless they play on one year contracts.