6/17/18

SIGNED - 15th Round - C - Phil Capra - Wagner College



LoHud –

Wagner College's switch-hitting catcher Phil Capra went to the Mets in the 15th round (440th overall). The North Salem graduate just hit .312 with a .551 slugging percentage, 12 homers and 58 RBI in 56 games played as a junior. As a sophomore, Capra hit .351.

SIlive –

            Capra, a North Salem, N.Y., resident, attracted the eyes of scouts the past season by batting .308 with 12 homers and 58 RBI in 55 games.

The 5-foot-10, 205-pounder helped lead Wagner to its best baseball record ever with a 38-18 overall mark.
Prior to the season, Capra was named to the 2018 Johnny Bench Award watch list as one of 97 top catchers across the country to watch.


NEW – SIGNED:  Tapinto –

Priding himself on hard work and dedication to baseball, North Salem product Phil Capra hit the jackpot when he was drafted to the New York Mets in the MLB draft last week.

“Seeing my name pop up at all is a dream come true,” said Capra, a 2015 North Salem graduate. “All of my hard work paid off.
There’s still a lot of work to do but getting drafted by a New York team is unbelievable. It’s always any kid’s dream to get drafted by their state’s team.”

The switch-hitting catcher flew down to Port Saint Lucie, Fla., on Friday morning to officially sign his contract and begin working with the organization.

“Honestly, I don’t really know what’s going to go on [upon arrival],” Capra said. “I have a few friends who were drafted by the Mets last year, so I’ll talk to them a little bit before I get down there.” 

Capra was selected in the 15th round (440th overall) on the afternoon of Wednesday, June 6, after completing his junior year at Wagner College on Staten Island.


“There’s definitely a lot of hard work that I put into it during high school and college,” Capra said of his baseball career. “It’s also a huge shout-out to the guys at Wagner who came before me, who put its name on the map. I don’t think it would have been possible for me to go [to the minor leagues] without them.”   

5 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

15th rounder? Hitter? Power? Nice pick.

Reese Kaplan said...

Sandy must have fallen asleep and someone picked for him.

Tom Brennan said...

OMG...Bleacher Report graded the draft...10 teams got A+, A, or A-.

The Mets? LOWEST GRADE!!! C-.

One team got A+...the White Sox with Madrigal. They had the 4th pick.

If we lost more in Sept, that pick could have been ours.

A team run by idiots.

If I recall correctly, Bleacher Reports gave the Mets their lowest grade last year, too.

Tom Brennan said...

Guess? Capra to Kingsport. Roster soon for that team.

Rustyjr said...

He plays right by me in Staten Island .. from what I understand from guys that I know who have eeen him he’s a steal