5/24/12

Mack's Mets Draft Profile - RHP Jose Orlando Berrios


By - Stephen Guilbert

In the three weeks leading up to the draft I am going to profile players who have been linked to the Mets directly, project to be taken around when the Mets are picking, or are attractive options based on the needs the Mets have in the system. Some of this is subjective based on players I like or think will be fine additions to the system. Some of it is based on what others have stated and from whispers within the industry and, lastly, some players I will profile have been linked to the Mets by professionals in the know.  

Let’s start it off with an impressive athlete and right-hander from Puerto Rico:  

Mets 2012 Draft- Jose Orlando Berrios- RHP- Juan XXIII High School, Bayamon, PR 

John Sickels projection: Pick 61- Astros

Mets select: 35, 71.  

The Mets are not likely to reach for Berrios with their second pick but he could easily fall to them at #71. If he does, I want the Mets to draft him. Here is why:

-          He touches 97 and is 17 years old.

-          Three pitch combo and all show promise: Fastball in the low-mid 90s touching 97, a slider at 80-81 and a “downer curve”, according to Matt Grabusky, at 69-70.

-          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFA8pH9pXSc This video. Barrios is clearly an amazing athlete with what looks like an impressive work ethic.

-          He runs a 5:15 mile. While running 5,280 feet quickly means little for a pitcher, it speaks to Berrios’ athleticism and physical ability. I run quite a bit and that is fast. I do not believe a single major leaguer today could run a mile in the low-5s.

-          He has plenty of room to fill out and is still growing. Given his live arm and feel for breaking pitches already, he is far from his peak. I like him every bit as much as Zach Eflin who is going 40+ picks higher.

The Mets got creative in the supplementary round last year and got a great prospect after selecting Michael Fulmer. I would love for them to try it again with Barrios in the second round with their 71st pick on June 4th.

 If you have any comments or questions or would like me to profile any player in specific, please let me know in the comments.  

LGM

1 comment:

Alexis J Perez said...

I have played against this great pitcher, and I have to say that he has been one of the toughest at-bats of my life, because his stuff is nasty and his baseball sense on the mound is increideble, he knows how to pitch, he's mind in the game is as good as anyone