7/8/12

I May Be Wrong, But… Jordy, Savannah, Michael Fulmer, Brian Harrison, Matt Reynolds… Part Two


4.  Had a chance to sit down with Savannah Sand Gnats SP Michael Fulmer yesterday. Michael is a very confident young man that just came off his best professional outing (.083 OBA). Everything he throws revolves around his 4-seamer, which sits in the low 90s and hits 95 on a hot day. His game is control and it’s remarkable how much he already has. I asked him what pitch he uses to set up the fast ball and he said that “it depends upon the batter”. He told me that he had spent a considerable amount of time with his pitching coach, Frank Viola, and the many coaches in extended camp during spring training. He loosened up some of his mechanics while he also worked on keeping his foot directed to the plate. “My job is to pound the zone’, said Michael. And I’m most comfortable throwing another 4-seamer as my go-two pitch, right after the first one. It’s all about confidence, said Fulmer, who turned 19 four months ago. If you ask me his repertoire is 4-seam, 4-seam, change-up, curve. He’s much more comfortable with his change-up now and we saw it earlier this week being used with that ‘C’ word again, confidence. “You know, said Michael, “I used to throw a 10-6 in high school and it’s not even part of my repertoire.” Observation:  I felt like I was talking with a recent college junior that is playing his second pro season. His pitching is very impressive, but the man beats the pitcher. Damn, I forgot to show him a picture of my granddaughter.  

5. I also spend a few minutes with new Gnats SS Matt Reynolds. This looks like a great pick and he’s already settled in as the everyday shortstop (6-1, 200 pound junior out of Arkansas). I asked him the obvious 3B/SS question and he reminded me that he played short in high school and started at short in his freshman year for the Razorbacks. I really liked him in the field and he seemed to play a little deeper, hugging towards third to help out Aderlin Rodriguez 

6.  Lastly, talked with 1B Brian Harrison through the fence. He had been moved from third base to first the last time we talked and he was stuck in a season beginning slump. That seemed to end the day after I talked to him (yeah right). Seriously, Brian said he just loosened up and concentrated on hitting once he moved to the other side of the infield. We both laughed and I left telling him to just have fun out there. He did, having two key hits in the first game of the doubleheaders. Observation:  It looks to me that he owns first base right now in Savannah, but you have to know he checks the box scores every day to see how Jayce Boyd did in Brooklyn. There is nobody in the way of Harrison and I hope he gets some time in Lucy before the season ends. 

7. I’m thrilled to tell you that Wally Murphy has returned to Mack’s Mets. Wally has attended every Gnats games for nine years and, in the past, he posted his recap for each of the home games. It’s an early morning post and it’s all Wally. Please welcome back an original Mack’s Mets writer. 

10.  56 Twitter followers (down one) (#JohnMackinAde). Welcome Channel Rick. 




No comments: