7/9/12

I May Be Wrong, But… Mike Baxter, Cubbies, Trades, Promotions



1.     Hi Mack, Good talking to you today and then that dud of a game this afternoon, oh well, the season so far is so much more than any of us could have imagined back in April we need to just enjoy it. At least I'm more confident with this management team at the helm. So how about a Bay, Spin, and Hairston/Neuwenhuis/Baxter outfield for the near term anyway?  -  So get some rest Mack and we'll talk again soon, Gary -  Mack: I forgot about Baxter. Another almost outfielder on an almost team. The game is changing, Gary. We’re going into the ice age of hitting. I can feel it.

2.     I guess the Mets just can’t beat the Cubs. The Mets go into the break 46-40, in 3rd place, 4.5 games out of first. Obviously, their series against Washington and Atlanta will tell us all what this team is made of.  Atlanta and Cincinnati would be the wild cards if the season came to end yesterday, with the Mets, St. Louis, and San Francisco a half of game behind.

3.     Regarding trade rumors: Don’t react to them. A trade is completed when a taxi cab pulls up with a new player outside the clubhouse. Lots of these rumors just start as filler for blogs or speculation after reading that a certain player is in play. I got news for you… ALL players are in play. That’s how the sport works.
4.     I had the strangest email I ever received yesterday. I’m sure you all remember when I shut down the blog (for the 587th time) and checked into the VA hospital last month. Well, a 15-year old writer for Mets Merized, Connor O’Brien, left me a wonderful short message that asked me to come back, but just don’t be mean. I found it so inspiring, that I put his name and message on the top of my blog above the title.  I did that by clicking on the ‘Favicon’ link (whatever the hell that is) and wrote it in. The first problem was I used the color blue for his message so it’s very hard to read in front of the site’s blue background. Still, I wanted to pay tribute to Connor, who left comments about it and we all got a big laugh. Now, comes an email, from an adult, lambasting me for bullying Connor and ending with the request for me to “go pick on someone my own size.” Amazing. The ‘new Mack  chose to ignore it, but I may be upsetting other people with this message. I can’t figure out how to get it off (Jared Alley is laughing as he reads this... ) and, if any of you understand Blogger, please call me at 843 683 0376 and walk me through the process. Thanks.

5.     Regarding possible Mets moves: 
a.     Matt Harvey is ‘ready’ but don’t expect to see him until September

b.     Zack Wheeler is ‘ready’ to move on to AAA

c.      Josh Edgin is past his initial AAA hiccup and is back throwing goose eggs. I see him in Queens sometime after the break.

d.     The Mets will have to make room for Mike Baxter, which could cost Jordany Valdespin his job again.

e.     Michael Fulmer is ‘ready’ for A+, but the Mets might promote Luis Mateo from Brooklyn to Lucy due to his age

f.       Kingsport can’t find a starting pitcher. They also can’t find a hitter or a fielder. Nice organization. Great manager and coaches. A hell hole right now

g.     Eric Campbell is ‘ready’ for AAA.

h.     We all know that the least that will happen is that the Mets will exercise the 2013 option for 3B David Wright. That means Wilmer Flores is ‘ready’ to move to either 2B or 1B (not a corner outfield position… he simply doesn’t run well enough to cover the ground out there).

i.       Rafael Fernandez is ‘ready’ for AA.

6.     Twitter: holding at 56 followers… Mack’s Mets – no new comments, 2,479 page views yesterday…

No comments: