7/4/12

I Might Be Wrong, But… by Mack Ade



1.The New York Mets are in a pennant race. Okay, I’ve said it. Bring on the slump. I had planned to write a series of articles in July-Sept on future Mets stars in the system so I could keep some of you pumped, but that’s not necessary anymore. It’s July 4th, everyone is off work, and the Mets play the Phillies today. They also are about 567 games ahead of them in the schedule. This is a great day.

2. When we assigned subjects to all the writers here, six of the current ‘staff’ are supposed to write some form of daily Mets parent club report, while another would fill us in every week with a Sunday recap. None of that is being done (boy, do I miss Scannell, Friere, and Frank).I don’t know if any of them are coming back, but, until they do, I will add a daily post on my thoughs on the parent club, probably in this form.

3. You would think there would be people dying to write about this team. Brain Joura hits me up weekly looking for writers for his site. Joe D is down to grade-school kids (joke, Joe). If you’d like to write about this team and have limited ability regarding spelling and grammar (sic), hit me up at: macksmets@gmail.com. Or call: 843 683 0376. I don’t bite. And, to you ex-MMs writers… if I can check myself into the Charleston VA “third floor” for three nights, you can find forgiveness for my hasty decisions in the past.

4. I’m being told that Kirk Nieuwenhuis will be playing more against lefties. That being said, Jason Bay is due back sometime after the break and, when he does come back, he will play every day.

5. Man, the only think better than winning a game like last night is winning it against the Phillies, but don’t count them back. Three key plays will all be back in their lineup after the break and I am sure they will make a run for it. The good news is they would be beating up primarily on NL East teams.

6. I’m not going to comment on the K-Rod rumors. It happens if it happens. I’m not saying I’m against it. I’m just not putting my thoughts to paper yet.

7. Look for David Wright to be getting more zone looks. Pitchers are not happy that Daniel Murphy, Ike Davis, and Josh Thole’s bats are waking up.

8. I identified for www.mets360 my three top ‘trade bait’ minor leaguers on a post they have featured this morning. What I didn’t say was that OF Scott Hairston is wanted by half the league and would probably be the first to go for the right relief pitcher. Frankly, I don’t expect any moves right now, which I believe is wrong. You have to have the taxi pull up with someone only half the people in the clubhouse recognize (when Omir Santos arrived, Josh Thole asked me ‘who was that’? I told him “Santos”. He then asked “which one?”) I’ve been told these players can’t sleep at night because they can’t wait to hit the fields the next day. That’s how great it is in the clubhouse right now. Go ask Adam, Kevin, even Marty. They will all tell you they are used to the clubhouse being similar to those room hospitals put dead bodies into. This team needs… no… deserves recognition from Sandy that he will, if needed, make adjustments during the season. Go get a relief pitcher, even if his ERA is above six. I don’t care. Make a taxi cab pull up outside the clubhouse.

9. Now, for the good news. Your July rotation is set. Your sixth starter, if necessary due to injuries, floods, whatever, is… wait for it… Matt Harvey.

10. Today is July 4th. There’s a chance two generations from now will be studying former great ‘empires’, the Romans, the British, and the USA. I’d like to think that is wrong. First step would be sending drones into the 37 targets identified yesterday as Syrian torture camps. Sure, Russia and a few third-world countries will piss and moan, but they all will be high-fiving in the back rooms if we return to what we do well. I’d also like to think the immigration problem will level out. Our country was built on illegal immigration. I’m Irish (I don’t identify with my half-German side for so many reasons). My great-grandfather smuggled my grandfather in this country on the White Star Line. My father was one of seven children, only two of which finished high school. And, my brother was the first college graduate. That’s how it works folks. The Irish were the Hispanics 100 years ago. We, the Chinese, and the Italians built this county and most weren't citizens. Go have a great Independence Day and remember how we got here and get back to where we should be going.

1 comment:

Erik said...

Happy 4th Mack!