7/18/12

Q and A - 2013 Draft Eligible - OF-2B Tony Kemp - Vanderbilt


Mack - Hey folks. We're talking today with 2013 draft eligible OF/2B Tony Kemp from Vanderbilt University. Hi Tony. The first question is easy. I want you to tell the readers a little about yourself. Take us through youth-ball, high school and Vandy please.

Tony – I started when I was about 4 years old and my brother Corey Kemp taught me everything about the game and he was a great mentor. I played in Franklin, TN all my life for baseball. When I was in middle school I played SS and CF and I enjoyed both positions. When I got to high school I played LF my freshman year on the varsity squad and the rest of the years I played CF. Vandy is one of the best places to play college baseball because you get the best of both worlds. You get amazing coaches, academics, and a great city to play in.

Keith Law to Mack Ade - Maybe an extra outfielder - so undersized but can't play up the middle.

Mack – I have to go back to the June 3rd walk-off against NC State. Take us through that great moment.

Tony - First of all hats off to NC State for coming back and beating us two games to advance to a Super Regional, but on this night I was just trying to put the ball in play and hopefully make something happen, luckily I was able to get a single to center field and it allowed us to win.

Coach Corbin Quote:  - His value goes well beyond the white lines, as he is an energy source for our team. The kid arrives in a good mood every single day and has a great spirit for the game. He had an outstanding freshman year and continues to grow as a player in our program. He does a lot of things to help us win and is fun to watch play.



Mack – Tony, I try not to waste this precious time with a lot of stats because people can look them up. You have already proven your ability to play this game. Obviously, there is some concern about your height. Keith Law told me that you migh be so undersized that could prevent you from playing up the middle. Any thoughts on this?

Tony - I am just glad God gives me the ability to be able to play baseball and as long as I am able to have opportunities I will take them.

Mack – Can we check back with you around mid-season and see how things are doing?

Tony – Yup.

No comments: