5/15/12

Draft Notes 5-15-12 – Damion Magnifico, Brett Mooneyham, Peter O’Brien, Mike Zunino, Will Clinard


Oklahoma (33-19) RHP Damion Magnifico

            Sunday vs. Baylor (39-11): 5.1-IP, 10-H, 3-ER, 3-K, 0-BB

            Season:  1-1, 4.01, 42.2-IP, 27-K, 20-BB

What happened to this guy? The 6-2 flame thrower passed last year when the Mets drafted him and went back to hit 100 regularly. He actually hit that number 22 times in April against Arkansas. You just don’t see this in college, especially 22 times in one game. But, why so few strikeouts? Critics say the ball doesn’t move and it’s the only pitch he has so all you have to do is time it and close your eyes. Wish it was that easy.

Stanford (32-14) LHP Brett Mooneyham

            Sunday vs. Washington State (24-23) – 7.0-IP, 5-H, 0-R, 3-K, 1-BB
            Season:  11-G, 11-ST, 6-4, 3.57, 68.0-IP, 77-K, 33-BB
Mooneyham has had an up and down season for a great baseball team. The strikeouts are still there, but he has been wild. I like his name more than a pitcher, but I'd gladly take him in the 3rd or 4th round. The problem is he'll be long gone, from to a left coast team, by then, Projection - early 2nd day pick.

Miami (31-18) C Peter O’Brien -

            Sunday vs.Wake Forest (28-21) – did not play

            Season:  .354/.465/.677, 10-HR, 38-RBI, 127-AB, 21-K, 23-BB

This will be an interesting pick by somebody. It seems like O’Brien has been around since the sixties. He came back in 2012 after transferring to Miami and going through all sorts of legal hoops. Now, he sits on the bench, day-to-day with a hairline fracture in his left wrist since April 15 against Virginia Tech when he was hit by a pitch. I still have him as the 2nd best catcher in the draft but I’m a vast minority here. A safe projection would be late in the first round or a possible early sup-one pick

Florida (38-14) C Mike Zunino

            Sunday vs. Mississippi State (31-20) – 1-2, 1-R, 2-BB, 1-RBI

            Season:  .321/.381/.637, 13-HR, 46-RBI, 193-AB, 35-K, 20-BB

Okay, he’s not hittimg 8.000 like he was the first month of the season. Hell, he’s not even the top hitter on his team (Daniel Pigott), but a .63 slugging percentage with only 35 strikeouts. You’re kidding me, right? And, he has only three errors from behind the plate. I would love to see the monthly split on Mike, but I can’t find them. There’s no doubt that he will be one of the first five picks in the draft, and frankly, being a plus defensive catcher that can hit, he could go one. His tail-off in the last month of the season has concerned some scouts and the playoffs will give him the chance to quiet his critics. Projection: I couldn’t possibly pass on a catcher with this much talent. The first pick.

Vanderbilt (25-25) RP Will Clinard

            Sunday vs. LSU (39-13) – 2.2-IP, 0-H, 0-R, 0-K, 0-BB

            Season:  6-2, 4.40, 23-G, 47.0-IP, 41-K, 21-BB

The red-shirt junior decided to come back this season and, though the team didn’t live up to expectation, he surely did. The 6-4 righty sits in the low-90s with a + breaking ball. Projected to being a successful middle reliever in the pros. Just needs a team around him (and Justin Verlander and Mario Rivera on both sides of him…). Projection: It’s extremely hard to project where a relief pitcher is picked. Most teams shy away from them on the first day of the draft. I believe Clinard will go on day two of the draft, probably late in the day.

3 comments:

Stephen Guilbert said...

I love the projections next to these picks.

If I were the Astros, I would take Zunino. I believe they will take Appel.

Mack Ade said...

I love 3 pitchers for that top slot, but how do you pass on a +++ catcher?

Stephen Guilbert said...

I wouldn't. But I have heard very little that that Astros are interested in anyone except Appel and Buxton.

My 1-2 would be Zunino-Gausman. But I guess there's a reason I'm not the person making these decisions.

Actually I take that back, if I were the Mets and I had the #1 pick, I would take Zunino. If I were the Mets and had the #2 pick and Zunino were off the board, I would take Carlos Correa. Yes, that's how much I like that kid. Mark my words--I might be the only one saying this now, but he will be the best player to come out of this draft.