5/5/12

My Team

When I was younger, I would always play Ken Griffey Baseball for N64 and construct absurd teams that I would battle through the season with. To strike up some debate, I decided to come up with my 2012 version of that team. Let the discussion begin!


C. Matt Weiters (Switch)
1B. Joey Votto  (Left)
2B. Robinson Cano  (Left)
3B. David Wright (Left)
SS. Troy Tulowitzki (Right)
LF. Carlos Gonzalez (Left)
CF. Matt Kemp (Right)
RF. Ichiro Suzuki ( Left)
SP. Justin Verlander


Lineup


1. Ichiro
2. Gonzalez
3. Kemp
4. Votto
5. Tulowitzki
6. Cano
7. Wright
8. Weiters

I like this lineup for a lot of reasons. Ichiro may be nearing the end of his career, but his glove and hose in right and his ability to hit lead off and run a little bit makes him my perfect lead off hitter. As a coach and player I have always loved to have a lefty batting in the two hole. I like lefties to bat two to block the catcher's view of the runner, take some pitches and be a master of the hit and run. Gonzo is a developing hitter who can absolutely mash, sees pitches and drive the ball the other way. Matt Kemp and Joey Votto are both easy picks for 3-4, guys who just absolutely hit with power and average. Tulo is absolutely the best shortstop in the game and very well may be top 5 all around. Cano has a smooth lefty swing that I love and DWRIGHT is getting some home cooking for this list. I can never say no to a switch hitting catcher who is only 26 years old. Verlander is a beast who dials it up to 101 in the last inning, need I say more?

Let the debating begin....

1 comment:

Mack Ade said...

It's hard to find faut with a list like that. I would probably take Brian McCann because I'm a big fan of his.

But, because of my age, I would probably have "my" heroes on this lsit. Guys like Gil Hodges, Roberto Clemente, Ozzie, etc.