5/19/12

WTF! – OF Tillman Pugh Released

This is why I sometimes hate what I do.

Tillman Pugh was considered a mini-prospect when he walked into the professional batting box for the first time. The first pitch… THE FIRST PROFESSIONAL PITCH… was a 92mph fastball that smashed into his face, breaking just about everything you can break on a face.

It took a long time, and considerable expense to the Mets, for Tillie to heal and he came back this year to Savannah to start in the outfield.

Okay, he’s had a bad year, and I have no idea if there’s a medical reason for it. We talked on the field on press day and I haven’t been back due to my own issues, but… release him? You can’t send him back to extended camp or, at least, issue a statement that something was wrong with him?

And, if there is nothing wrong with him, he’s not worth a do-over in K-Port?

Tillie told me this last September:

“I want to say to the fans that they are among the best fans in all of sports. Their loyalty, knowledge of the game, and desire to having winning players winning teams is second to none. I feel that my desire to win and my hatred of losing is a valuable asset to any team, and it would be a dream come true for me to one day put on a New York Mets jersey on Opening Day and take my position out in centerfield en route to the first Mets World Series since 1986.”

I’m done for today… I'm getting out of bed and go have dinner with... a friend...

No comments: