Posted by Mack Ade at 8:00 AM
Well, the mock draft season has really heated up, especially since we are around one month away from the names being called by the Commissioner.
All 10 mock drafts being used for this post are all new and were released in the month of May.
A few observations –
I pointed out a week ago that all 10 mock drafts being averaged together that week had LHP Jason Groome (Barnegat HS – NJ) as the #1 overall pick. Well, that seems to be changing. Four of this week’s mocks have LHP A. J. Puk (Florida) as the first pick and one has Groome as low as the eighth pick in the first round. This can’t have anything to do about his remarkable talent and possibly reflects his academic problems that developed when he attempted on his own to change high schools without informing officials. This could be an early sign of a character flaw that some scouts may think less of a financial investment should be, well, invested in this young dude.
The only other LHPs that have begun to crawl up the rankings are Jesuit College Prep’s Kyle Muller and Shawnee Mission East HS Joey Wentz. Wentz entered the ‘mocking’ two mocks ago at the 35th and 14th pick overall, so we’ll keep a particular look at him over the next couple of weeks.
(Wentz actually had a dead arm that prevented him from pitching last summer. Instead, he played first base on the showcase circuit and started hitting 543-foot home runs. Now, his fastball is back in the 93-95 range and he’s back on the mound. He’s just allowed two hits while striking out 0 in his first 30 innings.
Mississippi State’s RHP Dakota Hudson has been flying up the slots and is now ranked fourth overall pick in two of the mock drafts this month. In the past he had always been projected as a late first rounder; however, he comes in as the eight overall pick in the last averaging of the last five mock draft.
Watch out for Alamo Heights HS (TX) RHP Forrest Whittley, who has dropped 25 pounds off of his 6-7 frame and isturning out 92-97 accurate strikes, along with a power curve, and a solid changeup.
Plum H.S. (PA) 1B-OF Alex Kirloff has consistently been an early second round.1st round compensatory pick; however, he’s averaged being the sixteenth pick overall in the last five mock drafts… including being picked twice in the nineteenth pick that is owned by the Mets. Let’s not pull any punches here…Kirloff is a pure power hitter and could be an interesting player to pick if you could find some place to play him.
Reminds me of a slightly more talents Matt Oberste.
If we’re talking about RHPs, we have to mention the sneaky growth of Sheldon HS Matt Manning who seems to jump a notch up every time someone faltered.
And speaking of RHP that has fell from graces, try the early on #1 ranked RHP in the draft, the 6-7 Oklahoma Alex Hansen.
There continues to be only two quality infields spending your big bucks on early… Tennessee’s Nick Senzel, and The International Baseball Academy (PR) SS Delvin Perez. Pope HS (GA) 3B-P Josh Lowe and Holy Ghost Prep (PA) SS Nolan Jones should still be mid-round 1st round picks, but early on top 10 favorite, 3B Arizona Bobby Dalbec has fallen out of the first round.
Outfield wise, there are four that have separated them
selves from the pack and, in some order, should be the first four chose in the draft. They are Mercer College’s Kyle Lewis, Louisville’s Corey Ray, Charminade HS (CA) Blake Rutherford, and La Costa Canyon HS (CA) Mickey Moniak. Florida’s Buddy Reed has faded a little while Westminster Schools HS (GA) Will Benson continues to rise.
There really is only two top catchers in this draft… Clemson’s Chris Okey and Miami’s Zack Collins… both of which’s name might not be called until the second round; however, two of these mocks (Fueled 5-1 and Evanman 5-5) have Collins going to the Mets on the 19th overall pick.
My latest mock average –
1. LHP Jason Groome Suspended from High School
2. SS Devin Perez International Baseball Academy (PR)
3. LHP A.J. Puk Florida
4. OF Kyle Lewis Mercer
5. RHP Riley Pint St. Thomas Aquinas HS (KS)
6. OF Corey Ray Louisville
7. IF Nick Senzel Tennessee
8. OF Blake Rutherford Charminade HS (CA)
9. OF Mickie Moniak La Costa Canyon HS (CA)
10. OF Buddy Reed Florida
11. RHP Connor Jones Virginia
12. RHP Dakota Hudson Mississippi State
13. IF-P Josh Lowe Pope HS (GA)
14. RHP Ian Anderson Shenendohowa HS (NY)
15. OF Will Benson Westminster Schools (GA)
16. RHP Kevin Gowdy Barbara HS (CA)
17. LHP Braxton Garrett Florence HS (AL)
18. IF Nolan Jones Holy Ghost Prep (PA)
19. OF Bryan Reynolds Vanderbilt
20. RHP Cal Quatrill Stanford
21. RHP Daulton Jefferies Cal
22. C Zack Collins Miami
23. OF Nick Banks Texas A and M
24. RHP Alec Hansen Oklahoma
25. RHP Jordon Sheffield Vanderbilt
26. 1B-OF Alex Kirloff Plum HS (PA)
27. LHP Matt Krook Oregon
28. RHP Matt Manning Sheldon HS (CA)
29. RHP Forrest Whitley Alamo Height HS (TX)
30. RHP Robert Tyler Georgia
31. RHP Alex Speas Mceachern HS (GA)
32. IF Drew Mendoza Lake Minneola HS (FL)
33. IF Will Craig Wake Forest
34. C Chris Okey Clemson
35. RHP Logan Shore Florida
36. IF Carter Kieboom Walton HS (GA)
37. IF Bobby Dalbec Arizona
38. RHP Cody Sedlock Illinois
39. RHP Reggie Lawson Victor Valley HS (CA)
40. LHP Jesus Luzardo Stoneman Douglas HS (FL)
41. RHP Zach Jackson Arkansas
42. OF Jake Fraley LSU
43. RHP Austin Bergner Windermere Prep (FL)
44. LHP Eric Lauer Kent State
45. RHP Jared Horn Vintage HS (CA)
46. LHP Anthony Kay Connecticut
47. OF Ronald Washington Jr. Dullus HS (TX)
48. LHP Matt Crohan Winthrop
49. RHP Baily Clark Duke
50. RHP Mike Shawaryn Maryland
51. OF Avery Tuck Steele Canyon HS (CA)
52. OF Ryan Boldt Nebraska
53. RHP Joe Duplantier Rice
54. IF Bo Bichette Lakewood HS (FL)
55. LHP Kyle Muller Jesuit College Prep
56. RHP Kyle Funkhouser Louisville
57. OF Penny Grier Auburn
58. LHP Joey Wentz Shawnee Mission East HS
59. SS Bryson Brigman San Diego
60. OF Heath Quinn Samford
61. RHP Zach Burdi Louisville
62. 3B Joe Rizzo Oakton HS (VA)
63. RHP Zack Brown Kentucky
64. RHP Corbin Burnes St. Mary’s