5/31/18

Mack - Trading Jake



Thought I would try something and play the GM game...

I sent this tweet out to 10 baseball bloggers from other team's sites...

"Okay...  I'm offering up Jacob deGrom for a trade (article I'm writing)

Baseball bloggers @90feetfromhome  @Loyal_Bostonian @VincentPage74  @aalyssacohen @teckertfong  @SoxShowdown  @miasportsminute  @JaysFromCouch  @carpengui @JoshuaHowsam  

Please follow back and send offer."

I got three returns...

From 
  (Braves site)
33 minutes aMore

2 more yrs. of control... gotta believe there's no chance the would respond to the , but I'd try 4 pitchers in return: Luiz Gohara, Kyle Wright, Patrick Weigel [TJ, 6/17], and Ian Anderson (Nos. 2, 4, 5, 16). Try not to mess them up. ;)

I responded...

Mack: Let's make this simple... two for one... Acuna and Albies


Alan followed up:

I can understand that ask... but there's no way that would ever happen. Not even one of them.
I should probably add this codicil: if Acuna AND Albies-level players are what it would take to acquire deGrom, then no one would meet the price. Only the Jays/Mats/WSox have that kind of talent... but they wouldn't go there either.
If the years were equal, then maybe, but Donaldson (4 mos). wouldn't work for the Mets (2yrs, 4 mos) at all in this scenario.

So, I go back and look at the players in play, minus Acuna and Albies:

21/yrs LHP Gohara - #2 prospect - 18/MLB: 4-G, 2.45, 1.09

22/yrs RHP Wright - #3 prospect - 18/AA: 10-ST, 4.73

23/yrs RHP Weigel - #19 prospect - 18/DL - June 17, TJS

20/yrs RHP Anderson - #6 prospect - 18/A+ - 9-ST, 3.64

I go back for round 2...

Mack:

I appreciate your offer. I really do and we do need HEALTHY young pitching but this is too pitcher heavy. Also, we have enough TJS pitchers... let's go back to Albies and Acuna... what about a deal for multiple players that would include ONE of them?


If the price for deGrom begins with one of those guys, the might be willing to suggest Cristian Pache (best OF in minors, 2 yrs away), but both of Albies/Acuna are going to be close to untouchable. Admittedly getting tough to find strong NON-pitching prospects :).

(Pache: 19/yrs, OF, A+: .281)

Mack - Okay, so... is your offer Pache, Gohama, Wright, and Anderson?

(Gohara)... I would approve of that from the side. A strong-upside arm to replace JdG immediately, 2 more for the next wave or two, plus a premium defensive OF with emerging power.

Mack - So... Pache, Gohama, and two secondary chips?



Pache, Gohara, Wright and Anderson. And honestly, none of those are really secondary guys at all. That's a strong offer, and the Mets could even flip 1 or more to fill other needs.



From   
 (Angles site)30 minutes ago
Replying to   and 
Angels have a pretty mediocre farm system, but could offer Jaime Barria, Jahmai Jones, Griffin Canning, and Matt Thaiss

I had our West Coast scout, David Rubin, look over the offer:

Barria - RHP 21/yrs - 2018/MLB: 6-ST. 4-1, 2.97, 1.09

Jones - OF 20/yrs - 2018/A+: .243

Canning - RHP 22/yrs - 2018/A_: 7-ST, 1-0, 1.72, 1.02

Thaiss - 1B 23/yrs - 2018/AA: .287

David said it's a good deal, but we should only make it if the team is going to do a complete reload.

Me? The last thing I need is another first baseman. no less a 23 year old.

I go back with a counter...

Mack -
I actually like the way you think. You know that deGrom is something special.
I ask for one change. First base is the one position I have two ++ chips in the pipeline. I ask for you to substitute him with Taylor Ward.
Page answers...


And... from Toronto...
First...
So as the Jays, I can't see there being a real matchup here. The Blue Jays are in a position where they might need a soft rebuild, which would mean that neither of Vlad Jr. or Bo is going to be dealt for DeGrom, despite his elite-level skill and control through 2020. So while the Jays would likely be willing to offer some package including Alford, Reid-Foley, and one other solid, if not great, prospect, I can't see the Mets accepting that, as they could get a blue-chipper elsewhere.

Then, another Jays site -
Replying to   and 
. here. So, this is like throwing darts in the dark, but... I'd offer something like Sean Reid-Foley, Dwight Smith Jr, Juan Kelly and Richard Urena

So, what did he offer?

RHP Reid-Foley - #7 prospect, 22/yrs, AAA: 1-ST, 30.86!

OF Smith - #30+ prospect - 25/yrs, MLB: .276

DH Kelly - #40+ prospect - 23/yrs, AA: .224

SS Urena - #14 prospect, 22/yrs, MLB (18-AB): .278

I counter...

Mack - Got your offer and, frankly, we're way off. I'm offering one of the top 5 starters in baseball and you offer your team's #7, #14, #30+, and #40 prospect. Additionally, I do not need another SS and there are no DH in the NL.

I want a 'sure fire no miss' chip for Jake... plus two more.

My counter would be Vlad Jr., Danny Jansen, and Reid-Foley

His return tweet:

Well, then it would have to be a hard pass for me -
I can tell you Vlad Jr is a deal breaker. Jansen is my personal deal breaker. -

Then, Joshua, from BPro Toronto, saw the offer from "Jays On The Couch" and sent this:


I saw. I get their position, even though I'd be willing to offer a better package, simply because of where the Jays are in their competitive cycle. If the team was doing well, things might be quite different.

Mack - Counter away

I guess mine before wasn't clear. Maybe Alford, Reid-Foley, and, if a catcher was required, one of recent draftees Hagen Danner and Riley Adams.

Alford: OF, #3 prospect, 23/yrs, 2018 Minors: .165

Reid-Foley: P, #7 prospect, 22/yrs, AAA: 1-ST, 30.86!

Adams: C #9 prospect, 21/yrs, A+, .221


So...

how did I do?

which deal would you go for, if any?


15 comments:

Reese Kaplan said...

None of the above.

If you're dealing a Cy Young caliber pitcher with more than a full year of control left you need top shelf talent and I don't see that here.

Mack Ade said...

Reese

Are you sure?

The Braves offer was 4 players in the MLB.com Top 100 prospect ist.a

Josh D said...

I would not trade DeGrom at all. Definitely not in division. The Braves offer is a good one. i wiuld see if they would do it for Syndergaard. I may be making a dumb Nolan Ryan trade but, I am willing to take the risk. Would the Braves?

Mike Freire said...

Neat idea, for starters.

I like the Braves offer the best, but it would really suck having to face JD several times per year in our own division (probably second to seeing him in pin stripes).

I would hold onto the Braves offer for a bit and shop around to other teams to see if you could do better.

Bob Gregory said...

I wonder what do the Yankees, Redsox, and Astros have to offer?

Tom Brennan said...

I want Acuna Jr, or Vlad Jr, in any trade for Jake. Vlad could be straight up, assuming there are no personality issues that could cause him to self-destruct somehow. If it were Acuna Jr, I'd want a very good prospect pitcher too, like Anderson.

I agree that the Jays, facing two division giants in NYY and BRS, might pass on Vlad for Jake because he would not make the Jays good enough to catch those two squads, sadly. If they were in a dogfight with them, that trade might be too tempting to pass up.

The Yankees might take a deal like Jake for Gleyber, because he would greatly increase their chances of winning the World Series for say the next 3 years, maybe longer.

IMO, Jake is as good as Tom Seaver, just started his career later. Elite for elite is what it has to be if Jake goes.

We can include Dominic Smith to sweeten any deal! (Not being sarcastic, do you think anyone wants him? Not based on this year, I'd say.)

Tom Brennan said...

Bob, a good GM could play the Yanks, Red Sox, and Astros off against each other for a great deal - again, Jake could clearly, for one of those teams, make them the team to beat for the World Series in multiple years. Start putting out feelers with those 3 teams.

If Jake is not winning with the Mets, I'd love to see a guy like him win elsewhere.

Jake is 4-0, 1.52, 65 IP; Vargas ERA is close to 10, just 25 IP, and he has half the wins at 2-3. Amazing.

Eddie from Corona said...

great job I only wish more participated..

However you did prove that it is really difficult to make this type of deal and that other like us hesitate to give up guys who they have waited for as well...

But if its time to trade him It really doesnt matter to who ... Look at everyone who trades withe Patriots.,..
So with that said I would trade jake to the Yankees if we could get Torres... He would have to be the key. they can sign Machado so Torres is a must...
Torres Sheffield and Florial plus Romine would be my asking price...

Eddie from Corona said...

those that did participate none offered their top prospect...

Reese Kaplan said...

That's my point exactly...why should we get quantity instead of quality? Even Vlad Jr. is unknown at this point at the major league level.

@Tom -- you said, "A good GM..." We don't have one of those, unfortunately...

Mike Freire said...

I have to think that a STUD starting pitcher with playoff experience, only 29 years old and under control for two more years would command a HIGH price, right?

When's the last time a player like Jake was available?

I am thinking Vlad, Jr would be a nice starting point for example, but I am biased.

Eddie from Corona said...

Our biggest problem is the best teams have already sold thier best chips... Red Sox and Astros for instance...
so really the team with the assets to acquire Jake and the need is the Yankees....
Question is having the stomach to do that

Mack Ade said...

All

I also wish more poeple partipated in this drill. I especially wished that some of the team's bloggers would have chimed in.

A lot of time and energy on this one.

Oh well.

Tom Brennan said...

Run it again, at 8 AM.

You can bump my BATS and Pens article back time-wise tomorrow. Your article should have gotten better "play" than it did.

Mack Ade said...

Nah