6/7/18

Mets 17th Round - Allan Winans - P - Campbell University




Baseball America -

“My favorite righthanded pitcher is Verlander, my favorite lefthander is (David) Price. I thought I wanted to pitch like Price but when I was younger me and him aren’t very similar, as I found out. Me and Verlander are as similar mechanical wise as I could find. That guy’s a monster. I feel like if you eat like him and if you pitch like him, maybe you can start performing like him. So that’s been my mindset.”

And you feel like there are some mechanical similarities between you and Verlander?

“I’m pretty generic. I’m a pretty generic righthander. I always try to watch the best guys in the world do it. They’re the best for a reason, so they’re obviously doing something right. I try to take a little bit of everything from a lot of different people. As I watch Verlander, he’s so explosive, his direction toward the plate is perfect pretty much and the guy throws 100 mph with an 80 mph, huge breaking ball. So that’s pretty impressive right there. It’s on purpose, most of it. My leg kick, I try to get it similar to him. The way he uses his legs, I try to mimic all of that. I’ve been having success with it. My direction to the plate is probably my biggest key this year. If I’m struggling on the mound, I take a step off and take a second and realize ‘get your direction to the plate.’ That’s something he does real well. Any time I see him pitch I just try to mimic everything he does.”

Bakersfield.com  -

Allan Winans, a former Frontier and Bakersfield College player who went on to play at Campbell University, was selected in the 17th round (500th pick overall) by the New York Mets. Winans is a 6-foot-2, 185-pound right-handed pitcher.

Campbell Baseball - April 20 ·

Allan Winans tossed his seventh quality start & Matthew Barefoot drove in three runs to lead the Camels to an 8-4 win over Longwood Friday night!

Campbell now owns a 5-1 record in Big South series openers. We'll go for the series win tomorrow at 3 p.m.

2018 stats:  15-G, 14-starts, 6-4, 2.73, 82.1-IP, 96-K

1 comment:

Tom Brennan said...

Verlander is a great guy for Winans to emulate. Welcome aboard.