5/8/23

Mike's Mets - Appreciating What You Have

 


By Mike Steffanos

Matt Harvey's star burned so brightly, it's hard to imagine that his greatness only lasted for 3 MLB seasons.

I've been working on another piece for several days, outputting about 1,800 words of prose, never coming close to producing something I wanted to share with my readers. That doesn't happen to me very often, but it's very frustrating when it does. It's a subject I care about very much, so I'll get back to it soon with a fresh start. In the meantime, the announcement on Friday night that Matt Harvey is retiring from baseball produced a slew of memories for me as a lifelong Mets fan. It also gave me something to consider in how I approach being a fan.

Matt posted a moving farewell to the game of baseball and Mets fans on his Instagram. He specifically mentioned the famous game against the Nationals and Stephen Strasburg in his sophomore season with the Mets:

April 19, 2013: A game I will always remember. I haven't gone back to really feel or relive some of the highest moments pitching in the big league, especially for the New York Mets. But this particular game hits me extremely hard, making this a very difficult thing to write.

I pitched to win. To fire up my team and more importantly, to fire up the fans in a city that I've always loved.

It is one of those feeling you know will never go away. It's something that will last forever, and will continue to be there and provide so much excitement for everyone.

There is nothing I loved more than getting out of a tough situation in the 7th or 8th inning, to finally let the emotions out, knowing I did absolutely everything I could to help my team win, and to give a powerful fist bump and scream!

That day will forever stay in my dreams. I know I pitched well and we were on our way to a win, and as I'm sitting in the dugout, all I hear is the chants overtaking Citi Field.

"Harvey's Better."

Even with aspirations to be great, or even the best, a moment like that hits your soul. It was a moment of success. I never wanted it to end.

I remember that day so clearly. It's hard to believe that it all happened a decade ago. Harvey came to the Mets during one of the true low points in their history. It began with the consecutive NL East collapses to the Phillies in 2007 and 2008. Then Bernie Madoff was arrested in December 2008, and it quickly became clear that the Wilpons would not be putting much money into their baseball club going forward.

7 comments:

Mack Ade said...

Harvey projected a return to being respected as a team.

The Mets should do something about him

Rds 900. said...

We all thought Harvey would be the next great thing. Hard to believe his optimum career so short. I was never concerned about his off the field activities

Woodrow said...

The a!ets abused him when he came back from Tommy John.They should have listened to Boras. It was like the Golden Goose.

Anonymous said...

Not to Fear

Igor has just returned from his midnight escapades with the perfect right arm for Mr. Harvey.

Matt should be back on the mound in no time flat to help stop the two and eighteen over the last twenty games NY Mets.

Can anyone here play this game?

Anonymous said...

Gary Sanchez

I followed Gary's career somewhat. I liked his power game at times, look at his 2017 and 2018 stats. This to me, is who he is.

The thing I seem to recall somewhat, is that Gary really didn't want to play the catcher position all that much. It was not his first choice. He sort of fell into catching with the Yankees, who needed a big batting catcher.

On the more positive side, Gary is still a relatively young player at age 30. There is room enough there for him, to have more development in the Mets minor leagues. I do not recall any major injuries that Gary has suffered over his career really beyond normal smaller catcher injury stuff.

Get him a catching tutor, and let's see what Gary Sanchez can do. Everyone likes the guy, and he would be a terrific Mets baseball story to success.

The Mets could use that right now.

Anonymous said...

Solid 5 Starters

Carlos and Justin live game rehabbing at current.

Max sounding very hopeful with the "Dr. Scapula thing" and staying away from the Slip & Slide at least for now.

It sound more dreary to me in recent Mets articles, than it really is. Yes, the Mets won/loss record does look a bit frightening at current. However, this pitching staff (to me anyway) is still a very outstanding one, who has just hit a streak of very bad luck all at the same one time. It happens.

The good times are coming. I for one have total faith in these five starters. Total. They are literally all that good.






Anonymous said...

To: Buck Showalter

Will it kill you to call up Vientos and Mauricio ASAP?

Then...

1b Alonso 2b Mauricio SS Lindor 3b Baty LF McNeil CF Nimmo RF Marte/Canha DH Vientos

Also, Maybe get Billy to make a trade for another lefty starter, just in case. Someone not so nearing AARP this team.