5/3/23

Tom Brennan - As a Follow Up on My 3 Prospects Yesterday...


Ronny Mauricio, Iron Man (photo: Richard Nelson)

Ahh, Mark Vientos, Matt Rudick, and Wyatt Young...

My 3 prospects from yesterday.

I smile every time I ponder.

Let's throw Ronny Mauricio into the "fondly pondered" list.  

The Ponder Four.

Yeah, I’m a Ponderer….I go around, around…anyway…

In last night's action, Syracuse lost 9-7.

Mark Vientos (.368) hit his 9th HR, though, and added a single and had 3 RBIs, giving him 26 ribeyes (compare please to Tomas Nido's 1 RBI if you are interested in contrasts). 

MV has 18 XBHs in 26 games.  C'mon, Billy.

Ronny Mauricio (.333) had 2 doubles and a single.  17 XBHs in 28 games.  He has, since last year, been play-every-day Cal Ripken - again, he has missed no games in 2023.  How do you spell HUNGRY?  I spell it Mauricio. C'mon, Billy.


Binghamton meanwhile got limited to 4 hits in a 7-4 loss.

So, how did the Ponder Duo located in Bingo Land do?

Wyatt Young had a lonely single in 5 ABs.  

Matt Rudick went hitless - ugh.

OK, Matt was 0 for 1, with 3 walks, so his on base % increased to .486.  

No, not a typo, not a .146 OBP like a Mets' catcher with the initials TN; not .286; not even .386, which even Brandon Nimmo would say is good  

Nope...  .486.  

And drop out his slow first two games this year, and he has been on base 34 of 66 times, which is an OBP of .515.

Giving him 91 times on base in his last 45 games, too.

But Rudick is not in the Mets' Top 30?  Hmmm....what, they don't like short guys?  Dean Martin said to me, "Ain't that a kick in the head."

I like a .515 OBP, don't you? Any time my guy’s on base % exceeds his off-base %, I ain’t complaining.

After all, if you added Tomas' .111 batting average, .146 on base % and .111 slug %, a brand-new Brennan stat, AOS, you only get to .368.

Which happens to be Mark Vientos’ average.

Having written that, Vientos, Mauricio, Young and Rudick pondered what I wrote, and just ran out to get themselves catcher's gloves. 

That catching stuff is the ticket, bro. You’ll be in Queens next week if you can catch.

11 comments:

Gary Seagren said...

I'm with ya Tom but we have to give old Deano a pass because I think that song was before "concussion protocol" existed. Also lets not forget the Pham man at a robust .191/.291 and of course EE at .172 /.210 and lets go to that movie "Something's Gotta Give" ....soon right?

Mack Ade said...

Look

I hate to differ with one of my young (everyone but Ray is younger than me on this site) writers, no less one of the two most read and respected, but...

Yes, Vientos is a prospect, but Mendick isn't there yet and Young isn't on anyone's watch list other than Mr. Brennan and Young's mother.

Nice spray hitter but they are a dime a dozen in this game and rarely any longer get to start at the major league level.

Now Mendick... he shows promise as a candidate for a Mets utility position... but nothing more than that on a team with this owner's checkbook.

My opinion only.

Tom Brennan said...

Mack, I think that Lugo and Peroza will soon be pushing their way into the "Ponder" list. Not Perozo or Peraza, but Peroza.

It was Rudick, not the older Mendick - If Rubick wants to join the conversation, it is up to him.

bill metsiac said...

There is no one who has been a greater disappointment to me than Nido. After his outstanding improvement with the bat once he became the everyday catcher when McCann was released, I expected him to be at least a .250 hitter with decent power and his usual (until now) stellar Defense.

Yet he has gone down sharply and deeply in all areas, and unless he stages a dramatic turnaround very soon he looks like a lock to depart as soon as Narvaez heals.
Sad.

Mack Ade said...

It seems that giving marginal catchers a two year contract didn't pay off

Tom Brennan said...

I have always been a Nido doubter until he could prove he had some offense. Right now, he couldn’t hit like Jerry Koosman. Head scratcher.

Tom Brennan said...

My brother asked about Ron Hodges. He might out hit Nido, no matter his age.

Tom Brennan said...

One of the former RANKED prospect I hammered for excessive Ks, Sherveyn Newton, is hitting .075 in 53 ABs with 24 Ks for Botox A ball. Message to all minor leaguers: you fan too much in the minors, the phone won’t ring from the majors. Alter your approach ASAP. Or alter your occupation.

Rds 900. said...

I really am surprised by Nido's lack of production. Thought he would be an average hitter, at worst.

Woodrow said...

There’s the rub with fan favorite,Vientos,too many Ks (and no position). His only hope is if he can hit 25-30 HRs in the Bigs.

Tom Brennan said...

Vientos fanning much less of late. My guessis front office is very pleased to see that.