6/11/23

Observations - So, Where Are the Mets?, Tyler Thomas, Short Season Prospects


 Good morning.


An interesting thing happened last Sunday.


The Mets were hosting the last game of their Toronto series. At the same time ESPN was showing games in the College World Series.


To be honest, for the first time this season I had no desire to watch, listen to, or follow the Mets game


Instead, I spent the day watching college baseball, starting with Clemson vs. Charlotte.


Now, full disclosure,  I'm a big Tigers fan, but I stayed with the amateur games throughout the day.


This does not mean I'm not a committed Mets writer, but it does call into question whether I care how the Mets games end this year.


I admit I'm an old hen about pro ball and what it has developed into. And I'm the first one to admit when I am wrong about something, be it questioning the drafting of Brandon Nimmo or me predicting that Ryley Gilliam would be the Mets future closer.


I know I would admit I'm wrong here if all these stupid lineups were working. In addition, they continue to throw bats out there that don't hit.


Fans started this season bad mouthing the pitching and praising the hitters. Now, it's sort of back to that again.


Now, we all know what the definition of insanity is. Tell me again that a lineup like last Sunday's game makes any sense?


I'm sure there will be good days ahead, but I stick to my earlier observation that the month of June will produce a sub-.500 record far below the requirements needed to qualify for a wild card position


There just is too much instability this year. First, it was the injuries. Then, the pitching. Then the hitting dried up. And even the fielding begun to get choppy. This is baseball's definition of a half ass season.


For me, the only way the Mets will make the playoffs is if other teams in contention lose more than the Mets do going forward.


A lot of us writers are disagreeing with other writers on who is building the lineups.  Is it Buck? Is it analytical team? Is it that jerkoff writer on SNY? Frankly, do you think anyone would stand up and claim they have been doing it?


Yeah, I know. Spinach Salad thinking.


That's all I can offer at this point.


 

The Mets signed 27-year old LHRP Tyler Thomas to a minor league contract and assigned him to AA-Binghamton.


Thomas was a 7th round pick by the Cubs in 2017, out of Cal State Fresno.

He played most of his pro career in the Texas chain, but was released after last season. This season, he had been pitching for Gastonia in the ATLL Indy league and put up huge numbers: 15-APPS, 2-1, 0.90, 1.00, 20-IP, 34-K


 

It's "short season" time and there is a good amount of prospect International kids, as well as an in-state draft picks we need to add to our weekly minor league update.


They are: 


RHSP Javier Atencio/FCL: 

SS Jesus Baez/FCL: 

OF Willy Fanas/FCL 

OF Simon Juan/FCL: 

C Daiverson Gutierrez/DSL (27th overall - $1.9M bonus): 

OF Anthony Baptist/DSL  (29th overall - $1.1M bonus): 

SS Christopher Larez/DSL (43rd overall - $1.5M bonus): 

LHP Daviel Hurtado/DSL ($640,000 bonus)

5 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

The Pete injury (out 3 to 4 weeks) seems like the final blow from Ivan Drago.

And with his injury went any chance of another 50+ HR Alonso season.

GO TIGERS!

Mack Ade said...

Steve's comments yesterday were interesting

Not much he can do

Pissed off most of the owners so they won't help him here

Raw said...

I can not understand why the Mets are sticking with Tyler Megill? Why not send him to Syracuse and try Lucchesi instead. You can never develop any long winning streak with him in the starting rotation. I feel the Mets strategy really went downhill when all of their depth in AAA starting pitchers blew up. They need to obtain some better pitching at AAA this season. Why can’t the pitching staff help improve these pitchers at AAA. Megill, Peterson and Butto are all doing terrible this season. With the ageing starting pitchers the Mets have they need good backup starting pitchers. Eppler and staff have to find ways of getting better pitchers going forward. Maybe they should change Walker back to a starting pitcher. Very frustrating. Everyone points to our lineup but if we keep the other team from scoring runs I feel the Mets hitters will find a way to win. Relievers need to do better.

Tom Brennan said...

Raw, I agree. I was quite disappointed Megill fanned just one while facing over 20 batters. Something is wrong. Lucchesi is preferable.

Gary Seagren said...

The big worry is Eppy making smart moves going forward and not sacrificing the future to save his job. Last years deadline deals will go down in Met history as one of the worst ever. I'm relying on SC to move this ship in the right direction fingers crossed.