6/5/23

Tom Brennan - Pete and Art....and RIP Roger Craig


My brain sometimes retains memorable stats for many years. Random thoughts of the statistical kind.

As such, I remembered that in 1966, Art Shamsky hit .231 and had 21 HRs and 47 RBIs in 234 at bats, memorable to me in that it was quite a HR pace.

He had a slash of .231/.321/.521.


Almost identical to 2023 Pete Alonso:

.231, 21 HRs, 47 RBIs in just 9 fewer at bats.

He has a slash of .231/.324/.538.

Can’t get much closer to Art Shamsky than that.

ROGER CRAIG R.I.P.

Original Met.  Dead at age 93.

Would you take a pitcher, who could complete 27 games in 2 seasons and compile a 4.14 ERA, for the current Mets?  That was Roger Craig, despite his Anthony Young-like 15-46 Mets record.  

Had he pitched for the Dodgers those two seasons, he likely would have won 30 or more games in the 88 games (64 starts) and 470 innings that he pitched for the Mets in 1962-63.  

He was 24-14 with LAD in the three seasons prior to joining the hapless Mets, so he was a good pitcher on a horrifically bad Mets team.



6 comments:

D J said...

Tom,
The Mets 2023 Florida League roster has been released. Notable prospects are the Mets 17th ranked pitcher, Javier Atencio, 15th ranked infielder Jesus Baez( DSL Player of the Year),OF Simon Juan, and OF Willy Fanas. Fanas and Juan were prospects signed in the 2022 International signings.
A few more prospects to watch in 2023.

Anonymous said...

Remember watching Roger Craigin ‘62. He was good. Craig,Jackson and Hook.

Rds 900. said...

I remember Roger being called up by the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1956, I think.

Mack Ade said...

Ralph lived near me for a few years in Sun City Hilton Head.

I wrote sports for Morris Publishing and covered the Savannah Sand Gnats.

I came up with a brilliant idea... pick him up and take him to a Sand Gnats game.

His phone number was actually published so I called him and identified myself and what publisher I worked for.

He hung up.

Ha.

Tom Brennan said...

D J, good stuff.

Tom Brennan said...

And now, Bob Bolin, dead at 84 - per the NY Post:

Bolin was a right-handed starter and reliever in the majors for 13 seasons with the Giants, Brewers and Red Sox.

A reliable pitcher, Bolin finished in the top 10 in the National League three times for ERA and twice for shutouts and winning percentage. “I was never classified as a starter or as a reliever, so I mostly sat on a tarp between the bullpen and the dugout because I didn’t know which one I’d be doing,” he once said.