5/20/12


Draft Notes  5-21-12   Kevin Gausman, Jose Orlando Berrios, Brett Mooneyham, Deven Merrero



I checked in with one of Mack’s Mets ex-writers, LSH RHP Kevin Gausman. I asked him about Friday’s 5-2 victory over USC, the series, the season, and what’s the first thing he’s going to buy with the signing bonus (if he signs).

Kevin was candid, as usual:

I felt good during this start. I have been going to my one-seam sinker fastball more than my four seam fastball. It has late action and has really increased the amount of swing and misses I get on my fastball. A big pitch for me during this start was my change-up, I was able to throw it in any count and to lefties and righties. This series was a huge win for us after a disappointing weekend last weekend and this is something we will remember as the season goes on. This season and this team has been so special to me. Seeing young guys come in and watching them progress and everyone buying into their roles. If I were to sign the first thing I would do would be to buy my parents retirement. I don't want my mother to work any longer.

            “Seeing young guys come in…”  I’m gonna hit him when I see him…



Freshman Alert –

            Florida State RHP Mike Compton – 4-starts, 10-1, 2.96, 70.0-IP,

            TCU RHP Preston Morrison – 9.0-IP, CG, 8-0, 1.55, 62-IP, 61-K

Speed Check –

            USC senior closer Martin Viramontes - 90-93, +75-78 curve



Pat Light -

            Well...that's all she wrote...see ya Monmouth...moving on



Chris Beck‏ -

Even when you’re in a rough patch keep your head high and your faith higher. It's all part of a bigger plan



Brett Mooneyham

Stanford (35-14) Mooneyham is another of those starters that are peaking at the right time of their school career. He shut down Utah (14-37), with a stat line of: 8.1-IP, 4-H, 1-ER, 10-K,1-BB and the season looks like: 6-4, 3.30,76.1-IP, 87-K, 34-BB.He’s 6-5, throws left, and the world is his in June.

                        Mack Projection – Brett will either be a sup-1 or round 2 pick



Deven Merrero

Arizona SS (34-28) Merrero went into the mock season as the top shortstop in the draft and a surefire top ten pick. He has hit only .270 this season, which includes going 3-4, 1-RBI, 2-R on Saturday night against Washington (27-23). This is not a batting average of a top ten pick and it will interesting to see how far he falls on the first day of the draft.

Mack projection – It’s a thin draft for non-pitchers so I still see him going in the late portion of the first round.




Jose Orlando Berrios is one of the top prospects from a strong 2012 Puerto Rico class.  He is a righthander with a strong, athletic build.  Berrios has a low effort delivery, quick arm, and uses a 3/4 arm slot. Berrios’ fastball is 92-94, topping out at 97, with good movement.  He throws two breaking balls; a 80-81 slider and a downer curve at 69-70.  He has good arm speed on his change and it flashes plus potential.

No comments: