5/9/12

FLASH: Stephen Matz Suffers Setback. Re-visits Dr. Andrews

According to Metsmerized Online, former 1st round pick LHP Stephen Matz, has suffered a major setback in his rehabbing from Tommy John surgery.


"I threw a bunch of innings in Spring Training and my velocity was back to normal, anywhere from 90-95 mph. The elbow still wasn’t really feeling right, but I was trying to get through it. I went and saw Dr. Andrews again and he was concerned a little bit. But it’s very tough to read an MRI after you have a surgery. So I am going to give it one more try and see what happens." -Stephen Matz


*** Yikes another setback for Matz....honestly the Mets will be lucky to get ANYTHING out of Matz at this point. I remember when he was originally selected, scouts were raving about his upside especially the velocity from the left side. Probably would've ended up with Kingsport if he was healthy this year with the abundance of arms still in extended Spring Training. If he threw well I could even have saw him with Brooklyn for a playoff push which would've put him on track to maybe get back on track with St. Lucie in 2013 but oh well....Never mind i guess. Matz was dropped from Toby Hyde's Top 41 prospects this past winter as hopes of him becoming even a useful minor leaguer dwindled.



2 comments:

The Closer said...

I really hope Stephen doesn't follow the Brant Rustich path and end up retiring way too early due to injury.

Honestly, my concern is that if his arm isn't fully healthy by now, who's to say it ever will be.

I'm sorry for being so negative about this, it just doesn't sound promising.

Just goes to show you that there's really no guarantee on any draft picks, especially HS ones.

Mack Ade said...

Brant chose to retire.

In the case of Matz, the Mets will probably make the decision here.